Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Two weeks in New England, Road trip

Hey, going on wacation for two weeks in july this summer. Wondered if someone could help me, with some tips on what to see and where to go. I've never been there before, so dont know a lot about the area.
    Starting in Boston, and ending in Washington. Want to visit Niagara Falls, Lake Placid, Cape Cod, and maybe the area around Cape May.
    We've decided not to go to NY this time, because we've been there before, and don't got that much time.

Would've been very thankful for your help! :)
    Sorry for my not so good english!

Welcome to RTA!

There is a lot to see and do in the area, and you've listed a few. Do you like scenic, history, amusement, or a combination of all of the above? Boston is a historical place, as would be Philadelphia. If you cared to go up to Maine, there is Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, and the whole Atlantic seacoast.

By the way, you communicate very well in the English language, and your spelling is better than many!

Donna

Default You won't want a car in those major cities.

If you are starting in Boston, it might be a good idea not to rent a car until you are ready to leave Boston. The public transport in the city is good, parking is expensive and street parking is hard to find.

The same goes for Washington DC. Turn the car in when you arrive there, and see the city and all its attraction by the efficient public transport. Parking there too, is expensive and you could spend a lot of time to find a spot near any of the major sites.

Lifey
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-12-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Default ...And In Between...

I agree that a car can actually be a burden in both Boston and Washington. But in between those two cities there is a ton to see and do in New England, and then getting from there to Washington via Niagara. Those are actually some of my favorite areas of the country, and I think you're in for a treat, especially with a couple of weeks, although you could always use more.

AZBuck

5. Default

Hey, thanks for all the tips so far. Seems like a good idea to wait picking up the car, and hand it in when we'll arrive in Washington.
    It's not that important for us to see absolutely all historical places and sights, but maybe see the most important ones. The scenic will be more important to us.

Thanks for all the help ☺
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-12-2014 at 07:31 AM.

6. Default

slastad,

If you haven't already done so, check on a map where all the places you want to visit are located, and how far apart some of them are. For example, Niagara Falls to Albany (across most of the width of New York State) is nearly 500 kilometres. You can probably do most of what you want to do in two weeks but you need to consider the distances and timing.

For information about public transport in Boston, visit the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) web site: http://www.mbta.com

For scenery, Shenandoah National Park (in the mountains to the west of Washington DC) is great - if you've got enough time.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-12-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Default Get the public transport maps.

When you get to Boston, visit the visitor information and pick up the various maps for the T line and bus lines. Maybe your hotel will have them as well. I use the map to look up what I need, saves having to remember it. For that matter, make sure you get a detailed map of Boston as well. It helps each time you get lost in their streets, none of which run on a grid.

Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    BTW your English is 100% better than my Norweigan ...
    100% better than my Norwegian as well.

Lifey
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-12-2014 at 07:33 AM.

8. Default

John 259, we're not quite sure on where we want to go, we have decided that we want to visit the places i wrote in the beginning. We don't know a lot about the area, so any further than that we have not decided yet.

Thanks for the help so far! :)

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by slastad View Post
    John 259, we're not quite sure on where we want to go, we have decided that we want to visit the places i wrote in the beginning. We don't know a lot about the area, so any further than that we have not decided yet.
    Fair enough, there's a lot to research and a lot of possibilities to evaluate. I was just anxious to ensure that you're checking the driving distances.

Default Visiting the places you mentioned.

... we have decided that we want to visit the places i wrote in the beginning.
    It might be best to visit Cape Cod on leaving Boston, before heading off to Lake Placid and Niagara. After heading west out of Massachusetts, (taking one of a variety of historic / scenic routes) I would head straight up either US9 or I-87 in NY, or a combination of both. They run parallel, so you can interchange as desired. At underwood take 73 to Lake Placid. This is a lovely drive.

Make sure that in one of those towns you pick up a map of the Adirondacks which will show you the scenic routes through those mountains. If it were me, I would take one of the scenic routes, probably 30, to scenic 37 which runs along the St Lawrence River. Take that all the way to where it picks up I-81 to Waterton. Then head to Niagara, possibly also taking in the Finger Lakes.

Cape May was in the path of Sandy last year, and I do not know how much it was impacted. You might like to check that before deciding.

But that is what I would do. This is your trip, and you need to decide which routes are of greatest interest to you.

AZBuck posted some informative links above, which will no doubt fill in more gaps.

Do you actually have a good map of the area? Or are you trying to do all this within the confines of a computer monitor? If you have not already done so, I suggest you get a good map to help you in your planning.

Also, check with your local automobile association (club) if they have a reciprocal arrangements with AAA. If they do, then bring your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps from the AAA, from one of their Boston locations.

Lifey