Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to Sequioas. Death Valley or Mojave ?

Hi !
    I'm planning a trip from Vegas to Yosemite in next september and i want to visit the Sequoias National Park. What is my best option:
    1. Vegas - Mojave Reserve - Visalia (day 1)
    2. Vegas - Death Valley - Visalia (day 1)

Which is more intersting ?

After Sequioas (day 2) i'm thinking in drive to Mariposa and in the next day (day 3) drive to Yosemite and then to Sacramento.

Three days are ok do this trip ?

I'm from Brazil and we'll travel in two families (6 people, two children).

Thank you.

Guy.

Default full picture

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What does your entire trip look like? It is always hard to give good advice when you're only looking at a small piece of the puzzle.

I will say that driving from Vegas to Visalia in one day would leave you very little time to see either DV or the Mojave Preserve. You're also looking to be quite rushed for your plan to visit Yosemite and make it to Sacramento on the same day.

What could likely be a better option would be to drive from Vegas to Yosemite, through Death Valley. That way you could enter Yosemite via Tioga Pass, rather than going around the Sierra's. You could still visit Sequoia after Yosemite.

3. Default

Thanks for your help !

The entire trip is Vegas (7/Sep), Yosemite, San Francisco, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Disney and San Diego (26/sep).

That being the case, I would certainly go from Death Valley to Yosemite, and then back to Sequoia. It's a bit of a backtrack, but getting to go across Tioga Pass and see more of Yosemite really makes it worth it.

There is a grove of Sequoia Trees within Yosemite, so worst case, you could skip Sequoia, depending upon how much time you want to spend at the rest of your destinations.

5. Default

My first option was as you mentioned, but we are a lit bit scared with the hotel's prices near Yosemite. Do you have some advice about hotel to stay near Yosemite ?

Thanks

Default Some options.

If you wanted to spend a bit of time in Death valley then you could look at lodgings in Bishop, Mammoth Lakes or even Lee Vining near Mono Lake and enter Yosemite the next day via Tioga pass. The cheapest lodgings anywhere near Yosemite to the west side of the mountains would be in Oakhurst but that's quite a distance. Instead you could look in Mariposa, El Portal or Groveland. A good alternative if you don't mind 'rustic' lodgings is the Yosemite bug which you can check out here. Or you could look at the very basic tent cabins in Curry village in Yosemite NP.

With just 3 days to get to Sacramento I would skip Sequoia and visit the giant Sequoia trees in Yosemite at Mariposa Grove and spend more quality time in the park.

7. Default

Its a very good option. From Vegas to Bishop or Mammoth Lake ou Lee Vining, crossing DV, is about 286 mi (460 km). In the next day we can cross Yosemite (all day) and stay in Mariposa or Oakhurst.

Yes and there will be plenty to see and do in the park the following morning so you should consider this when deciding on where to stay. You can get an idea of costs and locations using the RTA travel section to the right of the page. For example you can explore along Tioga Pass and parts of the valley on the first day and then visit Glacier point and/or Mariposa grove the following day. Glacier point view is awesome and one you should not miss !

Default Do the sums.

Quote Originally Posted by guyroberto View Post
    ... but we are a lit bit scared with the hotel's prices near Yosemite.
    Balance that up against the cost of driving in and out of the park. With a party of six, you will no doubt have a larger vehicle, and prices of fuel in CA are usually above what the rest of the country is paying. I'd agree that the preferred would be Curry Village if you can. Years ago I stayed at Yosemite Bug. It was basic and adequate as well as clean.

It is also easy to spend a day in DV. There are many points of interest in the park without leaving paved roads. Even if you can only spend 5 mins out of the car at each viewpoint.

Lifey

For the record, Lifey speaks from experience when she states that "prices of fuel in CA are usually above what the rest of the country is paying." Barstow currently is $4.03 for unleaded, Oakhurst is $4.09, my area of San Diego County is $4.07. Las Vegas NV is around $3.60/gallon. My SIL in MO just paid $3.30/gallon.

Donna