1. Default Seattle to Los Angeles

Hi all,

I'm planning to drive from Seattle to Los Angeles over 2 days. What would be a good stopping point for the night in between? Ideally it would be somewhat in the middle (I'm trying to drive <600 miles/day) and would be a location where I can easily walk around the area, since I'll probably be sick of driving all day!

Thanks,
    John

Welcome to RTA!

Since it's roughly 1130 miles from Seattle to LA, you should do about 575 miles per day if you want to space out the trip fairly evenly. That would put you at Mount Shasta, CA, in 530 miles, Shasta Lake at 585 miles, or Redding at 593 miles. My husband and I would probably do Redding, if we were in your shoes, in order to have a few less miles the next day (because LA means more traffic). Shasta Lake would be a nice place to walk around and see something, but accommodations might be a tad more expensive closer to the Lake.

Donna

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think your best bet will be Redding. It's about as close to halfway as you'll be able to get - requiring about 600 miles the first day, and 550 miles the second. You should have no problems finding a place to spend the night, or finding a place to stretch out there.

There are multiple Redding exits with hotels, but it doesn't look like all of them have restaurants or much of anything else at them. If you are like me, once I check in to the hotel, I don't want to have to drive to get to a restaurant. Looks to me like your best bet may be east of the freeway between exits 678 and 677. If that doesn't look suitable, it's only about a mile or so west to downtown.

I've done this drive many times, and Redding would be my choice also. I always stay at either the Quality Inn, or the Comfort Inn. The Quality Inn is on Hilltop Dr. The Comfort Inn is about a block off it. Pretty much a stones throw from each other. A nice restaurant sits on the corner. Depending on when you are going, Redding can get quite toasty. 2 years ago it was 116 degrees when I arrived. Hilltop Dr. is about 2-3 blocks off I 5, Centennial Ave. exit.

Joe, I believe you mean Cypress Ave. That's Exit 677. Hilltop Dr. is the first block east of the freeway. My map shows the restaurant you mention is Marie Callender's and there's a Logan's Roadhouse next door.

Sorry! Yes you are correct. You'd think as many times as I've taken that exit I remember the street name! Age!!

Default Try to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    ... since I'll probably be sick of driving all day!
    John, it would be a real pity if your memory of this trip is going to include being sick of driving all day! You should be able to avoid this, and get the excercise you need to stay alert and focused, by taking a short break every couple of hours.

Lifey