1. Default Denver Loop with YP, GTNP, Cody, Salt Lake/Park City and possibly Custer SP

My family of 4 (myself, husband, two sons 14 and 11) are planning our next RV adventure...yay! We've never been to this area and I'm hesitant to hit "submit" because I don't want to miss anything. We are more activity oriented than history so I'm not sure whether to mix in the Custer State Park/Mt. Rushmore thing in or just have more time to see things further west. We definitely want to check out a "gun fight", a rodeo, a white water raft adventure and a jeep/4-wheeler excursion. Also, where would Beartooth Hwy fit in...I'd like to check that out. Any input/ideas are greatly appreciated. Here's what we have so far:

7/3 To Denver (to Rockies game as we're big baseball fans!)
    7/4 To Custer SP/Mt. Rushmore (this is the day I could leave out and add in later in the trip??)
    7/5 to Cody
    7/6 - 7/8 West Yellowstone (seems like RV sites will be easiest to get there at this late date)
    7/9 - 7/10 Grand Teton National Park
    7/11- 7/12 Salt Lake City/Park City (we'd like to check out Olympic Park and do some of the activities there...worth it? and what else to do there?)
    7/13 to Grand Junction, CO
    7/14 to Denver
    7/15 back home to Indy!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Beartooth Highway.

Hi, and welcom to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

That sure is a reason to go 'yay!'

As for the Beartooth Highway, it is the north east entry into Yellowstone. A spectacular drive, with amazing views. You would go up to Red Lodge from Cody, and then into Yellowstone, through Cooke City.

You might like to check it out and make sure it will not be beyond the capacity of your RV's size. I don't know if there is a size limit on the road.

Check the NP site for cancellations of sites within Yellowstone. That is far preferable to staying in West Yellowstone, with an hour's drive each way, each day. Keep checking for cancellations, if there are no vacancies right now.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome Back to the RTA Forum! How did your last trip go?

I think I would skip South Dakota. You're already a little rushed, and really just one day there, by the time you factor in the drive, really isn't worth it.

If you want to do the Beartooth, you'd want to head there before Cody. It will involve going North into Montana via I-90, and then cutting south to Cody before you reach Yellowstone's Northeast Gate. Cody's probably your best bet for a rodeo.

West Yellowstone is ok, but if you can find a site within the park, I'd recommend it. Its easy to underestimate just how large Yellowstone is, and the closer you can be, the better. Even if there aren't openings now, keep checking, as there are cancellations.

For Whitewater Rafting, I've used Mad River out of Jackson and had a blast.

While you don't have much extra time right now, you might consider stopping in Moab, for a quick tour of Arches or Canyonlands. This could also be a good area to check out 4x4 outfitters.

4. Default

Hi Midwest Michael! Our last trip was fabulous! We've done another since then to the east coast as well. We're definitely leaning towards skipping South Dakota. And, I'm on the Yellowstone places to stay now. I was thinking Jackson for rafting. My husband isn't thrilled about this idea but we're gonna make him do it. ;)

We did Arches and Canyonlands on our last West trip. Any other good suggestions as we head back towards Denver?

Thanks so much for the input!