Default Orlando to Grand Canyon

Hi All -

My BF and I are planning a trip out to the Grand Canyon. So far the plan is mid September and because we both still work, we're planning about 2 weeks.
    I would prefer to drive out rather than fly. Can anyone tell me if they've made this trip and which routes they took? I know we will have to do some highway driving, but I would also like to take some scenic routes.
    I've checked the Grand Canyon lodging and they are booked up for the dates we're looking at so I am also open to suggestions regarding hotels close to the Grand Canyon.
    Any help, suggestions and advise would be really be helpful!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

The most direct route will take you at least 4 days with minimal or no sightseeing. Get a good map and start looking at things along the various routes that you would like to see. You should probably look at taking a different route home.

The closest lodging to the GC is in Tusayan, just outside the south entrance. It's pretty pricey. Next closest is the Cameron Trading Post on US-89 east of the park. After that, you are looking at an hour plus outside the park - in Williams or Flagstaff.

(Most direct route: I-75/I-10/US-98/US-49/I-20/US-287/I-40)

Melbourne, Australia

Default Don't give up.

Don't give up on the Grand Canyon accommodation just yet. Keep checking back as frequently as you can. Cancellations are not uncommon.

Staying in the park is a wonderful opportunity to see a sunset and / or sunrise - an unforgetable experience.

South of England.

Default Advantage to flying.

There are some other great National Parks and attractions in the West that you would have a lot more time to visit if you decided to fly out and rent a car. If you drive yourself you could still consider visiting a couple of other places from the likes of Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Antelope canyon and Zion and Bryce canyon in southern Utah, but it would add up to quite a lot of driving for a 2 week trip.