Default Oregon to Missouri in June

I would like any advice about driving from Eugene, OR to Branson, MO this June. How long should I take? What is the best route? What are the best attractions? How long should I drive each day?
    Thanks!!

Default How long is a piece of string ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I'm sorry to say that your questions are impossible to answer as asking how long should I take is like asking 'how long is a piece of string', how long have you got ? There simply is no single 'best' routes and attractions, not only are they both connected to time and your interests, of which we know nothing, but there are thousands of possibilities.

To start with the basics, you would need a minimum of 3 overnight stops to make the journey safe and comfortable, anything over that you can start to think of where you would like to go by studying a good map. You should not look to travel much more than 550 miles a day which will only allow you time for basic stops. So it's recommended you drive anything from zero miles to 550, but it depends on where you want to go. Once you have these things figured out and a couple of dots on the map and share your own interests we can make suggestions and help fill in the blanks. From a personal point of view I would probably cut down through Nevada and through southern Utah into Colorado where there is some great scenery and a good collection of natural wonders like the National Parks of Great Basin, Bryce canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Rocky mountains and much more. With enough time I would also be tempted to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and then into Colorado, but it does depend on you and your basic plans.

3. Default

There's great advice in the previous post regarding stopping points, and some superb places to visit if you want to make a road trip out of the journey.

If on the other hand your objective is to simply get to Branson as quickly and simply as possible, then this is probably the best route:
    Branson
    US20
    Ontario (on the Oregon/Idaho state line)
    I-84
    A point east of Salt Lake City
    I-80
    A point south of Omaha
    I-29
    A point south of Kansas City
    Missouri state highway 7
    Springfield
    US65
    Branson

When planning trips like this, nothing beats studying a map - online or printed as you prefer.

Default The whys and wherefores.

Just as stated above by Dave, there is no such thing as a 'best'. One person's must see, is another person's must by pass. It would also help if we knew what the purpose of the trip is, and what you are hoping to get out of it.

Lifey

A point south of Kansas City Missouri state highway 7 Springfield
    More specifically:

I-435 around the east side of KC
    I-49 to Harrisonville
    MO-7 to Clinton
    MO-13 to Springfield

It may be a bit faster to take I-5 to Portland to pick up I-84. You would also want to get off I-80 at Lincoln and take NE-2 to I-29.

Overnights would be Boise, Rawlins, and Lincoln.

Thanks SW Dave, I did the Utah Colorado trip 4 years ago and I need to get from Oregon to Missouri in 4 days. I will have time to sight see on the way back tho. Great advice!

Default I70 for me.

In that case you have route options but not much time for sight seeing. With an early start on day one you could get to the nice town of Twin Falls ID and check out the Snake river canyon from Perrine Bridge. Just because I70 is so scenic I would probably head to Grand junction CO next day, which at 500 miles would give time to check out Perrine Bridge. Next stop would be Colby or Hays [there doesn't seem to be anything in betweeen] and which one would depend on what time you want to arrive to your destination. The advantage of Colby would be to have a little time along I70 where you could take a little detour to US6 over the spectacular Loveland Pass near Dillon, or stop at Glenwood Springs for example, but would leave you more miles to cover on the last day. Another option would be to drive into Nevada at the start and stay in Elko the night, but there is no best, just where the fancy takes you.

On the way home you could consider heading to Dodge City and take US 50 or similar through the heart of Colorado and check out places like Currecanti Rec area, Black Canyon and the mountain towns of Ouray and Silverton on the 'Millioin Dollar Highway. When you have decided on a route idea, if you woulkd like more help, just ask.

Have a great trip !

Dave is correct -- there isn't much between Colby and Hays. Oakley has an RV park, a restaurant and a truck stop, but the motels are all off the freeway about a mile or so. Colby and Hays both have a lot to offer, as does Goodland, and all the stuff is within 1/2 mile of the freeway. We stayed overnight once in Hays, once in Goodland. Both were "okay". Hays was memorable, not for the room itself, but because of the rainstorm that caused the pool to overflow and water came into our room about 2 ft.

Donna

Default MO to Denver.

It depends greatly on where you are starting in MO, but I have always found US400 to Dodge City and US50 to Lamar to be an excellent run. Not much traffic on those roads and only Witchita to contend with. About 500 miles, a very pleasant day's drive. Lamar has a good selection for accommodation. US287 up to I-70 is also a very nice road through eastern CO. This is virtually the same distance as going through Hays.

Lifey

It depends greatly on where you are starting in MO,
    I'm thinking it's Branson MO Lifey, the destination point on the way out and not necessarily going through Denver on the way back. [?] One's a trip out to Branson and the return to Eugene OR has some time for sight seeing.