1. Default Route Advice: Orlando, Florida to Salt Lake City, Utah

I am moving from Orlando, Florida to Salt Lake City, Utah in mid-May. I am looking for the best route to take.
    I am considering:
    75 N
    24 W
    57 N
    64 W
    70 W
    29 N
    80 W
    Another option is identical to the above but to take I-25 North instead of I-29.

I look forward to any advice on this trip. Thank you.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The route you've listed is about the shortest/fastest route, so if that's what you're looking for as the best choice, then you've about found it. There is one minor tweak, you can save a few miles and avoid Omaha traffic by using NE-2 to get from I-29 at Nebraska City to I-80 near Lincoln.

I-70 across Kansas isn't much different, although you'd increase your chance of seeing traffic somewhat by going through Denver. It's also about 35 miles longer, but that's a very small difference on a 2400 mile trip.

Either way, you should expect this trip to take a minimum of 4 full days.

Default That's the 'Best' For Your Purposes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

We don't like to label any single possible routing as 'best' for most RoadTrips because when taken for pleasure they are such an individual enterprise that no single route can be the 'best' for all people. But if you are making this drive a part of a major move, and assuming you will have a bunch of stuff in your car if not towing a trailer as well, then you want the shortest and most efficient routing. And that's just what you've described.

I would use I-29 north out of Kansas City rather than I-25 out of Denver, just to avoid one more major traffic problem (Denver). I'd also use NE-2 as a shortcut from I-29 at Nebraska City to I-80 at Lincoln. Other minor shortcuts and connections would include: at Atlanta take I-285 to the west around the city; at Nashville I'd just drive right through the city on I-24; east of St. Louis take I-255 north to I-270 west; and at Kansas City use I-435 around the city to the northeast.

AZBuck

east of St. Louis take I-255 north to I-270 west;
    I have to disagree with that a bit - I'd take I-64 right through the city to pick up I-70 at Wentzville. I-64 has recently been rebuilt and widened through STL and it's a good road. The only issue will be the condition of I-64 on the Illinois side of the river and the bridge itself. I-255 is decent, but I-270 around the northwest side gets just as congested in rush hour as the downtown highways.

If you hit STL at rush hour (not recommended anyway) taking I-55 south around to I-270 to I-64 would be a better bet than the north bypass.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    There is one minor tweak, you can save a few miles and avoid Omaha traffic by using NE-2 to get from I-29 at Nebraska City to I-80 near Lincoln.
    Thank you, I will be sure to make use of NE-2.

6. Default

Thank you all for the advice.