1. Default Beckley, WV to Orlando, FL (December 2014)

Hi All,

Traveling from Beckley, WV to Orlando, FL this December and am wondering if anyone has any suggested must see attractions or possibly an alternative route(s) other than the interstate. I love to stop at random roadside attractions, interesting diners, museums, etc. Traveling with my mom, teen daughter and pre-k son. Thanks!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Have you checked out the RTA Map Center? That's a great place to start finding things along the way you might be interested in.

How much time do you have for this trip? Have you made it before? Any places you know right now you'd like to stop?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Have you checked out the RTA Map Center? That's a great place to start finding things along the way you might be interested in.

How much time do you have for this trip? Have you made it before? Any places you know right now you'd like to stop?
    Thanks for the welcome! I will check out the Map Center.

We have about 2-3 days each way that we can tack on. I have made a trip to Savannah/Tybee Island and to Palm Beach but was traveling with my husband and he doesn't like to stop : )

We have tossed around stopping in St. Augustine. Just looking for those one of a kind stops to help break up the long ride (i.e. biggest ball of string, great ice cream shops...lol) My son loves anything dinosaurs or heavy equipment.

4. Default

One possibility: use the Blue Ridge Parkway from its intersection with I-77 south of Hillsville to south of Asheville - this would be a longer and slower route, but highly scenic and interesting.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    One possibility: use the Blue Ridge Parkway from its intersection with I-77 south of Hillsville to south of Asheville - this would be a longer and slower route, but highly scenic and interesting.
    Great suggestion! Thanks!

Default Love the BRP

John has a nice suggestion concerning the BRP. Just be aware of three factors:

1) Under the best of conditions, the BRP is slow going. The I-77 crossing at Fancy Gap, VA is at mile 200 and the exit to access I-26 at Asheville, NC is at mile 393. I would allow for not more than a 35 mph average speed on the BRP, allowing for the maximum speed limit of 45 mph, the many 35 mph speed zones, and some stops. One might not average more than 28-30 mph if one stops a lot. That being the case, you're looking at essentially a full day's drive, on one of the shortest daylight days of the year, to run that full segment.

2) The BRP has essentially no snow removal effort applied. This leads to closure of short to long segments of the Parkway during and after a snow event. Between the Linville River and Asheville, the BRP climbs to and holds elevations in excess of 5,000' for miles and miles, so snow in December is commonplace. Look to the National Park Service's official BRP website for real-time closure information, and take the road closure telephone number with you if you can't get internet connectivity while on the road.

3) All, or essentially all, of the ancillary parks, campgrounds, rest areas, and concession facilities will be closed by mid- to late November. Again, calling ahead may reveal some remaining open (the Craft Center at Moses Cone Memorial Park at Blowing Rock, NC comes to mind as remaining open pretty much all year), but the idea is to understand that each and every facility will not likely be open, in fact, there could be quite few.

I've always found much to enjoy on the BRP on a clear, cold December day. Clear skies make for many long and spectacular views. For sure, if it's a clear day, take the 1 hour side-trip up to the summit of Mount Mitchell, where the +100 mile views are so often obscured by clouds, fog, or haze. Winter's grip is often well-established by December in the High Country of North Carolina, and it has much to offer.

Foy

Default Farther South

For the dinosaur lover among you, one of the world's top dino museums is in Atlanta, the Fernbank, reachable from the eastern Beltway (I-285) by US-78/US-29. Then, if he'd like to see something approximating their real-life living conditions and some of their modern day cousins, a stop at Okefenokee Swamp would be in order.

Some other scenic roads to consider to connect the dots would include the
    Forest Heritage National Scenic Byway in North Carolina
    , Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway in South Carolina, and the Florida Black Bear Scenic Byway.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-01-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Default And Up North, Beware!

I see from your original post that you plan to make this RoadTrip in December. Be aware, as Foy points out, that the Blue Ridge Parkway is not plowed and none of the facilities are open in winter. Similarly, Skyline Drive is often closed and all facilities along it close down in late November not to open again until March. I'd strongly suggest that you look for alternate routes if you do plan to do this drive in December: US-19/US-25 if the weather is good and you can enjoy the mountains; US-21 if you need to get down on the plains.

AZBuck

Default St Augustine for history.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrockfarmwv View Post
    ... but was traveling with my husband and he doesn't like to stop : )

We have tossed around stopping in St. Augustine.
    St Augustine is indeed a great place to stop. Lots of history there and old architecture. Might even be a good chance to spend a little time at the beach.

I would endorse the route from I-95 to I-75 over the Black Bear Scenic Byway - one of my favourite routes in FL. Take your time on that one.

It is great to see you determined to see the sights, despite your previous experience.

Lifey

10. Default

Thanks to all of you for the great recommendations and advice!! Good thing I have a couple of months to get this planned out : ) Will post an update when I get the route mapped out.