1. Default anniversary trip

We want to take a road trip from Tennessee, maybe through Louisiana on through Missouri round trip back to Tennessee. We want to see as much as we can in a week or less. Any suggestions?

Tucson, AZ

Default More Possibilities Than We Can List

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you are talking about a loop RoadTrip where you are on the road and stopping at a different place each night or every couple of nights, then pretty much everything east of the Rockies is within easy grasp. Even if you are talking about someplace that you could drive to in a day and settle down for a week of relaxing local activities, then everything from the Gulf to the southern Great Lakes and from the Appalachians to the Ozarks is within reach. So before we start throwing out ideas, you could help us out by telling us a bit more about the kind if trip you have in mind. How much driving do you want to be doing? What kinds of activities are you envisioning? Urban or rural emphasis? High octane entertainment or quiet walks in nature? History? Scenery? Shopping? All of that factors in and so far we don't have a clue.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Back to basics.

Have you thought of getting some good paper maps, such as produced by AAA (free to members) and Rand McNally. Get hold of an old fashoined compass (or even a dinner plate) and draw a circle around the place where you live. Then see what there is inside that circle in the way of parks, history, etc. Use the internet to check for more attractions which may fit in with your interests.

It would be a good start, and as questions come up the experts here will answer them and help fine tune your route.

Enjoy the planning, it is so much part of the trip.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Start with your interests

As previously mentioned, it's hard to give suggestions without knowing your interests. There are many great urban as well as rural areas all within a comfortable drive of your home. Would you lean more towards going to the mountains or the coastline? Are you beach bums or determined hikers? Do you want to see the hustle and bustle of a city, or stay as far away from that as you possibly can?

One thing I like to do when I am unsure is to pick a primary destination. I either go there at the beginning or the end of the trip. If it's at the end of the trip, I go day to day figuring out how I am going to make that location my last stop for a particular trip. As long as I know I am going to make it to that place when I planned, everything else is an adventure. Some questions I ask are: Can I get there by US routes and state roads, or will it have to be Interstates? What other attractions are nearby? Are there any small towns that might have interesting and unique architecture along the way?

Truly, I have found some really interesting small towns with fascinating stories in this way. There is a lot of history in our young country.