Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Chicago to St Louis to Memphis to Dallas?

Hi,

I'm helping my uncle and his son move and thought we make a fun little road trip out of it. However, we still wanted to spend some time in Dallas (we are leaving on the 17th and fly back to Chicago on the 20th in the morning) so we really are limited to really just eating time and maybe taking a few pictures. I wanted to go to St. Louis to see the Arch (probably just stop briefly and take a few pictures) and then head to Memphis (not sure what can be seen here quickly, maybe just pass by?) and then to Dallas. I heard the road trip there isn't really that scenic no matter which way you take, so I thought this way would be still quick and we see some things.

Any other recommendations? I think we wanted to maybe hit 1 or 2 places to eat that were must go to places that aren't too out of the way (or nearby the interstate). I heard about Lamberts in MO but we're leaving Chicago around 8am so it'll be 6 hours before we hit there (and we'll be starving before then).

Default Elvis? or bypass Memphis.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Someone will be along soon, I am sure, to give you a few suggestions for eating places. That is not exactly my field.

If you are fan of Elvis you will no doubt find something to go and see in Memphis. If not, why not bypass and take US67 from St Louis to Little Rock? It will no doubt give you a little time to take a few more photos at places you choose to stop. Or maybe a ride to the top of the arch.

Lifey

Default More Than a Few Pics

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It seems a shame to waste a good RoadTrip on nothing more than just "eating time and maybe taking a few pictures." You have the equivalent of a full day to sprinkle among a few memorable stops, and there are such opportunities along your route. Perhaps the two biggest are what's under the Arch in St. Louis, the Museum of Westward Expansion. You could also stop briefly on the Illinois side of the Mississippi and visit the Corps of Discovery's actual launching point at Lewis and Clark State Memorial Park. In Memphis, there are a couple of spots worth visiting: a walk down Beale Street is worth it if you're a Blues aficionado, even if you don't have time to take in any performances; and Mud Island includes a walkable representation of the entire Mississippi River.

In between those two stops, a visit to Ste. Genevieve would give you a chance to stroll an old French river town, see some unique architecture, and get some home-made ice cream at a local parlor. And a little farther on but also near your route is Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas.

AZBuck

What you could do is skip Memphis altogether - and take I-44 out of STL to Springfield, get on US-65 south to Ozark and eat at the other Lambert's. It's about 4 hours from STL. After dinner, you could head another 1/2 hour south and spend the night in Branson. From there, you could head down US-65 to Little Rock to pick up I-30 to DFW. If you don't have that kind of time to spend some time in Branson having fun, you could spend the night in Springfield and take I-44 to US-69 to get to DFW. Either way - from Branson or Springfield - Dallas is an easy day's drive. The drive through the Ozarks is quite scenic.

If you have 3 days, you could spend 2 nights in Branson and have some relatively inexpensive fun.

If you are looking for some decent BBQ in the STL area, Super Smokers is right off I-44 at the Eureka exit. That might make for a good lunch stop.

5. Default

Is there something further out? I think we're probably going to grab lunch at Bogart's Smokehouse at St. Louis and picnic near the park of the Arch.

Thanks for the other suggestions, but we're trying to keep it within a day (and two if there really are lots of things to see, but nothing indoors) trip to Dallas. 15 hours doesn't leave a lot of time for distractions but since we were going to take breaks anyway might as well be in places that we normally don't see in Chicago. I guess we don't have to go to Memphis either, it was just a recommended route.

How about this? Chicago - St. Louis Arch (plus lunch at Bogarts) - Little Rock ( Clinton Presidential Center) - Dallas

I have no idea where to eat dinner in between that though.

Default No. Simply No.

There is simply no way that you can drive the over 900 miles from Chicago to Dallas in a day. No Way. There is even less of a possibility (That's a less than zero chance, that is.) of your covering over a thousand miles between those two cities while going through St. Louis and Memphis. No How. I don't care what fantasy is coming out of your computer telling you that you can drive it in fifteen hours. It's not going to happen. Even if you never stopped for sight-seeing, or food, or even gas and bathroom breaks. It is simply physically impossible. If you take two days, you could make the drive safely, but would still not have any time for anything other than driving, and certainly no time for sit down meals in restaurants that will have waiting lines for seating. You really need to think of this trip as a two day minimum, three if you want to do anything other than order you meals through a clown's mouth.

AZBuck

Are you thinking that Chicago to Dallas is a 15 hour drive?????? It's 970 miles by the most direct route. That would be at least a 2-day drive, with an overnight in Memphis. Trying to do that in one day, plus see something, isn't safe. You probably got the "15 hours" from an online mapping program, which doesn't have to stop for traffic, restrooms, gasoline, restaurants, or construction. It assumes you can keep up a 70 to 75 mph pace constantly, which because of the above, you're not likely to do. My husband and I would plan a 970 mile trip as 2 days, 9-10 hours per day in the car.

If you want to stop someplace like the Arch, the Presidential Center, etc., you have to ADD time. Just maneuvering the traffic near the Arch will take time, trying to find the restaurants you want to find will take more time, too.

Donna

Default In triplicate

I can't emphasize enough how accurate the others have been when they say you're talking about a 2 day trip. You simply aren't working with expectations that are even close to reality to think you can make this drive in one day, much less have time for picnic lunches under the arch (after getting food from a restaurant where long lines are expected!) or anything else.

Just for comparison sake, I did this same trip, just in the opposite direction. I didn't get out of Dallas until after noon, but I didn't make any significant stops, except to have some ribs in Memphis, and it was about midnight by the time I got to my motel. The next day, I made one stop, that took about 2 hours, in St. Louis, and again, it was very late by the time I arrived. This is a very full two day trip, and that really doesn't leave time for much anything else.

The fastest way from Chicago to Dallas is I-55/I-44/US-69. Don't even THINK about doing this in one day. I used to live in the Chicago burbs, I now live in Joplin, and I occasionally go to Dallas. Even with no sightseeing whatsoever, this is a 2 day drive. If you actually tried to do it - leaving Chicago at 8am, stopping ONLY for lunch, dinner, gas, and bathroom stops, you wouldn't get into Dallas till after midnight. Only try to do it in 1 day if you have 3 drivers using "speed run" procedures, and FORGET about doing ANY sightseeing. Your food stops will have to be fast or quick service food at Interstate exits.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoidiot View Post
    ...(plus lunch at Bogarts)....
    I would recommend Pappy's for St Louis Barbecue.

I also recommend out-of-towners stop by Ted Drewes, but that would probably not mesh well if you just ate at Pappy's (or Bogart's).

(This is, of course, impossible as part of a one-day drive.)

--Jon