Hove, Eat Sussex, England

Default Any advice from experienced road trippers

On May 8th, I will be driving from Boston down to Houston, I've got twenty days to cover the trip, so I'm hoping that will give me plenty of time to visit lots of interesting places. Love a bit of history and Blues music is a passion. Any suggestions for places to visit and overnight stays gratefully received.

Tucson, AZ

Default How to Look With That Much Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The thing is, you only need about three and a half days to do the actual drive from Boston to Houston, so you've got more than two weeks to just wander around New England, Appalachia and the lower Mississippi River valley. That's way more time than we could possibly fill with suggestions and way too much possible ground to cover for us to start narrowing them down. I would think some venues are obvious - Nashville and Memphis for the music scene, the Blue Ridge and Natchez Trace Parkways for some laid back scenic drives, any number of Revolutionary and Civil War battlefields - but what it sounds like you're really looking for are local events and out-of-the-way venues.

My own experience has been that such places are best found by simply wandering the back roads and listening to local AM radio. This runs absolutely counter to the way most people travel these days, sealed into their cars and hurtling down some generic Interstate with their own CDs blaring - barely noticing the world around them. RoadTripping is much like fishing. What you see or catch depends on how you travel or the bait you use. You won't find what you're looking for by following a GPS from point to point. You're going to have to get some good paper maps and wander around. Use US and State highways, even county roads. Stop in local cafes and read the notices hanging up there.

Just to get started, you should consider the following as your main routes and then wander off even these: US-202 in New England, US-209 through the Catskills and Poconos, US-15 to swing around Baltimore and Washington, the Blue Ridge Parkway, US-60 along the New River in West Virginia, US-119 through the heart of Appalachia, US-64 across southern Tennessee, the Natchez Trace Parkway, and the Creole Nature Trail in southwestern Louisiana. And just keep your eyes open as you plan and drive. You'll find what your looking for and the sense f discovery will be palpable - far better than if someone just told you "Go here."

Melbourne, Australia

Default As well as all the above.

It is hard to add to the advice which is so eloquently written above. However, let me try.

Have you considered going to Niagara Falls, or simply heading west out of Boston. Hyways 2, 9 (I have no idea what prefix they should have) and US20 are all very scenic routes through small towns with lots of history. Through NY State, US 20, which runs parrallel with and south of I-90 is a most interesting drive to Niagara Falls. It has all the desirable attributes stated above. I've driven all of these several times and find I am attracted back to them with each visit.

If you are a member of your local automobile association, be sure to bring your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps from the AAA. (There are several offices in the city and inner suburbs of Boston.) The AAA maps are detailed and have most of the scenic routes marked on them... as well as many other attractions upon which you might stumble along the way. Be sure to get a map of every State through which you will be travelling, and those through which you think you might travel.

Have a great trip.

4. Default

A few additions:

At the northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway: Shenandoah National Park, and also US340 through the Shenandoah Valley west of the park, both scenic roads but totally different to each other.

At the southern of the BRP: Great Smoky Mountains National Park, including the Newfound Gap road and also Cade's Cove which is gorgeous.

It might be worth looking at the National Parks Service web site for historical monuments, for example those related to the Civil War.