Default LA->Carmel-By-The-Sea->Yosemite/Tioga Pass->Lee Vining->Death Valley->Vegas

Hi,

will be doing few days roadtrip (May 1st-4th) and looking for tips (upon the usual basic ones) on Highway 1 / 101 between LAX and Carmel-By-The-Sea ... which should not be missed while doing this classic trip upon the CA coast. Tips for Tioga Pass/Death Valley also welcome!

Thanks,

-Niko (from Finland, Europe)

Default Four days -- at Warp speed?

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Wait.... are you planning on going to all of these places on four-day road trip? Technically it's possible but you'll be going so fast it will be like seeing the country on a video feed. And, of course, there's no guarantee that Tioga Pass will even be open those days.

Do you really need to travel this fast?

Mark

Have to be in Vegas on time as this is "kind of work trip" also. :) And yes, FFW it will be, that is why would like to know the "must, not the obvious" stops on the way. Tioga is a risk, but Sonora is open also as a second option. It seems that we will be staying at Carmel-by-the-sea & Lee Vining on the road.

Default You don't have time to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko Virta View Post
    ... that is why would like to know the "must, not the obvious" stops on the way.
    You won't have time to stop, much less stop at places of interest which will chew into your time.

My advice would be to forget about the PCH and enjoy your drive accross the Sierras, be it Tioga or Sonora, and through the spectacular Death Valley.

Lifey

Default No resting on the way!

Just trying to put this into perspective for you. It sounds like you've already made lodging reservations at Carmel and Lee Vining. This is what would be required of you to make these overnight stops:

LA to Carmel. I assume you are planning on driving the coastal road -- Route 1? Best case scenario -- 12 hours of solid driving between LA and Carmel along the coast. Average speed on the highway is about 45 mph.

Carmel to Lee Vining -- Sonora Pass is not much faster than Tioga -- US-50 is a better choice for your speed run. But it is possible -- but you will need to skip all of Yosemite National Park. It's only 296 miles -- but it will require at least 10 hours of driving.

Lee Vining to Las Vegas is about 7-8 hours

The bigger problem is that you won't have time to stop and see anything.

But if the thrill of driving that long and that hard is the point -- then you're going to have a great adventure.

Mark

Default 3 nights ?

As has been said, you will have to enjoy most of the sights from the car with short stops for photo opportunities and to breath in the atmosphere, but it's a great drive !

It seems that we will be staying at Carmel-by-the-sea & Lee Vining on the road. -
    If you have 3 nights and 4 full days, [I hope you have] with an early start I would head for Carmel and then stay in Yosemite NP and then in Bishop which allows a little time in the majestic Yosemite and a slower drive across the wonderful landscape of Death valley into Vegas.

7. Default

IMHO the route you're proposing really needs two weeks to do it justice. Rushing it in four days, while just about possible, would be (in my opinion) very stressful and largely pointless.

Therefore I would suggest a radical rethink and consideration of a much shorter trip. There are numerous possibilities, for example:

1) LA > Big Bear Lake (in the San Bernardino Mountains) > Joshua Tree National Park > LV

2) LA > LV, then day trips out to nearby places such as Red Rock Canyon (west of Las Vegas), Valley of Fire State Park (northeast of Las Vegas, with exits off I-15), Mount Charleston (northwest of Las Vegas, access roads from US95) and Hoover Dam (southeast of Las Vegas).

3) LA > Death Valley National Park > LV, spending several days to explore that very large park

4) LA > Zion and Bryce National Parks (southwest Utah; there are several towns in the areas which offer accommodation) > LV (FWIW this would be my choice)

5) LA > Santa Barbara > San Luis Obispo > Bakersfield > LV

6) LA > Sequoia National Park > Bakersfield > Death Valley National Park > LV