Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AZBuck want your advice on the Florida to NY 75 to 81 route

AZBuck,

I saw a couple years back you gave some advice on an alternate route from Florida to New York. In it you said taking 75 as far as Atlanta makes no sense as you would have to cut back across to Orlando.

I am traveling back to NY from Florida, but I don't have the issue you suggest, as I am in Tampa, right off 75. My plan is to take 75 to Tennessee where I will get 40/81. It is after this that I have the problem.

Looking at the map, I would think taking 81 all the way up to 78 would be the way to go. I would take 78 to 287 which turns in 440 and takes me right into Staten Island. My mom says no, she did this once and took 70 accross to 95 in Maryland. She said taking to 78 is too far, but when I look at what she did, she backtracked south all the way to Baltimore when she took 70 to 95, so I think my way is better.

95 is getting to be an absolute disaster. Coming down, I lost 6 hours at LEAST to traffic (this doesn't include time for stops), and when I tried to stop for the night every hotel I called (I gave up after about 15 stops and phone calls) was booked solid. It's to the point of ridiculous.

Looking to leave tomorrow so hopefully I get some advice!

Happy Easter all,

-Caz

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The problem with taking I-75 all the way to Atlanta is it involves a big detour to the west, before heading northeast - not to mention the possibility of hitting traffic in Atlanta too. That's still an issue if you're starting from Tampa.

The better option - that saves you about 100 miles of driving vs going to Atlanta, is to take I-95 to South Carolina, and then use I-26/I-77 to head up to I-81. I-95 usually isn't too bad in the south, it's the northeast corridor that you really want to avoid.

That of course is the reason why your plan to take I-78 is much better than heading down to Baltimore and up. If you're going to cut back over at I-70, then you might as well take I-95 all the way!

I have driven the 75 /Atlanta route several times, as in addition to driving to Florida every year, I drive to Georgia every year as I have a friend who lives in LaGrange (I know, I know LOL). I see it does diverge West pretty badly, but driving across to 95 in Florida also kills me. It seems like it takes me 5 hours to get to Jacksonville. And I'll tell you, I've been doing these drives for years and this time was the worst ever. There was traffic almost all the way. The only thing that saved me is that after 10 pm it thins out as most people are road wimps, not road warriors. I used to drive 11pm to 7am which is the ultimate but I am getting old, and also, my kids are teenagers now and no longer sleep through the night.

I might give 75 to 81 a shot but I am going to look at your route first.

The most important part is you confirmed my thinking. 81 to 78. No backtracking in Maryland.

Thanks!!!

You can go anyway you want, there is nothing wrong with traveling via Atlanta if that's how you really want to go, but the simple reality is that going that way adds about 100 miles vs. the route I suggested. I've never had any problems getting from Tampa to Jacksonville on US-301, but you could also look at using I-4 through Orlando and then up so you're on freeway the entire way. That's still significantly shorter than going via Atlanta.

There is no question it is longer. I95 is shorter all the way up. I am just looking to avoid traffic. Had I taken this way down I most certainly gotten here faster. I lost 6 hours according to the GPS just from traffic. It was that bad.

I am really disgusted and don't want to be on I95 at all. However, I still need to look at the route you mapped out.

I always take 301 as you suggest. Be careful, it is "speed trap highway." I got stopped twice by a cop, and both times I pointed to the GPS. The officer responded both times "it is 45 (or whatever it is), but it drops to 25 for this little stretch." I got let go both times but I still can't figure out how (or why) it drops drastically like that. It was in two different stretches. The stops I mention were both on the same trip....
    Last edited by Casual72; 04-20-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Your 95 to 26 to 81 looks pretty reasonable.

Captain Kirk, I will consider it....

One other question. In my profile it says "road miles less than 1,000 miles."

I just joined today so I get it, but how do you log miles? I have well over 10,000 miles on the road as Like I said previously I drive New York to Florida every year which is 1,000 miles each way, and New York to Georgia which is nearly 1,000 miles each way. My trip back to NY will get me over 1,000 in one shot so if I log it, it should say "over 1,000 miles" by Tuesday.

If you go to your own profile, you can edit it that, along with other information about yourself that you might like to share with the community.

Ok, I will try that as well.

Thanks!

I fully concur - best way from I-81 to Staten Island is I-78/I-287/Outerbridge. It is about 10 miles shorter than going through Baltimore and has less tolls.

I personally would never take I-75 all the way to I-40/I-81. Not only do you have to fight your way around/through Atlanta, I-4/I-95/I-26/I-77 to I-81 is 140 miles shorter. FYI: The eastern bypass loop around Jax is now open, it's a pleasure to drive it compared to I-95 or I-295.