1. Default Vegas -Death Valley -Sequoia National Park -Yosemite Park - San Francisco - San Diego

Hi everybody!!

I'm an italian international student and I'm currently studying in San Diego. I will finish my program on 15 may and I'm planning a roadtrip.
    I only know that I will leave from Las Vegas since I will be there for the 16/17/18 week-end. Afterwards, I have 11 days for my roadtrip and I would like to visit Death Valley, Sequoia park, Yosemite park, San Francisco (mandatory), and from San francisco going down to San Diego visting some city such as LA, santa barbara.
    I tried to read some topic about the trip but I can't figure out what kind of itinerary is the best and how many days should I dedicate to each place, having 11 days in total.
    Just as an example, I don't know if is better to visit sequoia park directly after death valley or coming down from SF toward San Diego.
    Are there any other places that I'm not considering that are worth to visit during my roadtrip?

Could you guys give me some tip and general information??

Thank you very much!!!!!!!! :)

Gabriele

2. Default

I forgot...

I will have my own car and I travel with 2 friends

Thank u again!!!

Default What's 'best' for you is what matters.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

I tried to read some topic about the trip but I can't figure out what kind of itinerary is the best and how many days should I dedicate to each place, having 11 days in total.
    That's because there is no single 'best' when it comes down to road tripping, it's all about the individual and doing what they want to do. After Death valley there is a good chance that the Tioga Pass [CA120] into Yosemite will be open and that's a fantastic drive. You could then head to Sequoia NP and then to SF. Although you could drive south around the mountains via Lake Isabella and go to Sequoia first, then Yosemite and to SF and may have to if Tioga is still closed, but I'd say that is unlikely and would personally take the Tioga option given the chance.

From SF you could head to Monterey and then down the coast on CA1 around Big Sur which is one of the finest coastal drives, you would need an overnight stop between SF and LA to take this slow going but rewarding drive, Cambria being a popular overnight point. There are always other options, two that would be possible but a little out of the way would be the Grand canyon and Zion NP, but that would come down to the pace you want to move at. I would certainly plan on spending a couple of nights around Yosemite, it's an amazing place and the waterfalls should still be flowing. Glacier point in Yosemite is amazing and worth the visit for the view alone and to the south of the park you will find Mariposa Grove of giant Sequoia trees.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post

After Death valley there is a good chance that the Tioga Pass [CA120] into Yosemite will be open and that's a fantastic drive. You could then head to Sequoia NP and then to SF.

Thank you for the gentle reply!
    If Tioga pass is open (when can I search for this info?) wouldn't be a waste of time going down from Yosemite to Sequoia NP, given that afterward I would need to go again north toward SF??? Would you sacrifice the visit to Sequoia NP in that case, or is a "place to visit" that I shouldn't miss?

It's not that out of the way to go from Yosemite to Sequoia then to SF. It's only about 5 hours or so from the south end of Sequoia to SF via the freeways, and at least 4 hours from Yosemite to SF - because there aren't as many freeways.

Default Alternatives.

If you do not want to do the detour to Sequoia NP, there is a stand of giant Sequoias near the west entrance to Yosemite. The information will be in the paper you are handed when entering, or you could ask for directions from the ranger at the entry gate.

There is also a stand of coastal redwoods just south of San Francisco. You could take this detour on the way to the Pacific Coast Highway.

Lifey

If Tioga pass is open (when can I search for this info?)
    You can follow this thread and the links herein to get the latest info.