1. Default Southwest Roadtrip

Hi all

Lots of us going on the rpoad trip soon!

I am too starting in San fran for 3 days, pacific grove 1 day, yosemite for 2 days vegas 2 days, Bryce Canyon 1 day, Grand Canyon 2 days, palm springs 1 day and san dieago 3 days, then to LA and maui for a week.
    I have been reading the threads with great interest and gleanin lots of info, i am keen to find out where the best place to stop particularly on the long stretchs . Also like to fit in Zion as well and was thinking this could be done from vegas to bryce?

Look forweard to replies!

Moderator Note: We prefer to give each trip its own thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-14-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Moved Post to New Thread

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by barkingjo View Post
    Also like to fit in Zion as well and was thinking this could be done from vegas to bryce?
    Yes it can be done, see map:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Ut9 through Zion is spectacular and well worth driving.

BUT:

During summer the most scenic area of Zion, a road which branches off from Ut9 in a northerly direction, is closed to private vehicles and only accessible via the park's excellent free shuttle bus service. Although buses run very frequently, there is inevitably some delay, and it takes quite a long time to get to the end of scenic road because the buses make a number of stops. All the main hiking trails are along this road.

So if possible I'd highly advise dedicating at least one full day to Zion. I realise that with your schedule that might not be possible, in which case I'd say driving Ut9 is far better than nothing, sitting on the shuttle bus and not doing any hikes is much better, but getting off the bus and doing some hikes is even better.

Default Plus travel days ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I would agree with the above and I would also urge you to consider taking another night to enable you to visit Zion NP, which is a true gem, and take a day out of LA at the end of your trip.

If you are planning on staying inside the National parks you should check for availability asap and book if it's an option, it may be too late already and then you should start exploring the nearby towns.

When you say "Yosemite 2 days, Vegas 2 days" I'm not sure if you have another day for the travelling in between or not ? There is a close to a full day of travel to account for to Vegas, especially with the popular drive through Death Valley on route. It's also going to be around lunchtime before you arrive into Yosemite from PG, so if you haven't allowed extra days for the travelling you really haven't got enough time to fully enjoy these natural wonders. To break the journey to Vegas and have a little time in DV, Bishop makes a reasonable overnight stop.

4. Default

Thanks both, I can jig things around a bit to fit in Zion I relaise we have some hefty drives ahead of us and no days inbetween so up and out early or leave later in the afternoon, 3 of us driving so managable. We have a few hours in LA before we fly to Maui and on our return to the uk we are stopping overnight in LA.

So exicted I cant wait

Default Quite some adventure !

Have you considered heading to Pacific Grove on the afternoon of day 3 in SF ? You could then spend the evening there and following morning and be in Yosemite that night. That would give you all of the next day and some of the following morning to enjoy this amazing NP. As mentioned, Bishop would then make a good overnight stop on route to Vegas via Death Valley.

6. Default

I'd agree, Bishop is an excellent choice for an overnight stop, it's a nice little town with plenty of accommodation and restaurant options - and a great view of the Sierras as well.

Default And more....

Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    I'd agree, Bishop is an excellent choice for an overnight stop, it's a nice little town with plenty of accommodation and restaurant options - and a great view of the Sierras as well.
    Not to mention a great bakery!

Lifey

8. Default

Thanks peeps, i am stopping overnight in pacfic grove before heading to yosemite and we will PG in the am to get an early strt at yosemite. not long to go now just ovcer a week and counting the days until no more work!!1

Default Enjoy !

Have a great trip and it would be great if you would drop by and share some of your trip highlights and thoughts with us.

Dave.

Default Our special forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Have a great trip and it would be great if you would drop by and share some of your trip highlights and thoughts with us.
    In fact, we have a special forum just for this purpose, and don't forget, we love pictures.

Looking forward to reading how it all went.

Lifey