Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default RV Trip Vancouver to Yellowstone June 2014

hi,
    hubby and I are planning 2-3 week road trip June 7-21. We are pulling a 20 ft trailer. we want to do some river, stream fly fishing and back-country camping. we want to avoid rough gravel roads and really steep grades. some of the "No Fee" camp-sites look appealing. what is the best round-trip intinerary? any advice on the best stops for this kind of trip?
    thanks,
    FLY FISHERMAN FROM BC

Welcome to RTA!

My husband and I have done a lot of trailer towing (usually something longer and heavier than yours), and find that interstate travel is usually "easiest" for avoiding "really steep grades". Interstates are limited to certain grades (6% or less, I believe) in order to keep the loaded semi's moving up the hill and not blocking traffic. Where there are those 6% grades, you'll find that there's a "truck lane" full of slow, loaded trucks. Depending on what you are towing WITH and how loaded your trailer is, you may or may not join the truckers in that lane.

In looking at various routes you could take, your best bet (IMHO) is probably I-5 south to I-90 east. From there, it will depend on exactly where near Yellowstone you want to camp.

I'm not sure where you see "No Fee" campsites in the Yellowstone region, though. The term "back country camping" *usually* means Walk-In. Very occasionally it means going down a very rough dirt or gravel road, which you said you wanted to avoid. If you are backpacking, these campsites are handy -- right alongside a trail (or close enough to it) and many near a stream where you should boil or filter your water. (Once upon a time, hubby and I backpacked.) Of course the other issue at these backcountry campsites are critters, often huge black or grizzly types.

If you can't get a site at one of the regular campgrounds in Yellowstone, or at the (Oh my goodness, expensive!) Fishing Bridge RV part, there are lots of campgrounds in the surrounding Gallatin, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forests.

"Best round trip itinerary" depends a lot on you and what you want to do. Idaho would be full of outdoor activities (including fishing), as would eastern Oregon, if you would want to return to BC via a different route.

You might want to take a good look at a map of WA, ID, MT, and OR, and see if anything appeals to you. Once you do, we can help you find the route that will work for you in your situation!

In the meantime, enjoy the planning -- I find that I enjoy planning our vacations almost as much as I do executing what we planned!

Donna

DonnaR57 is correct is suggesting I5 to I90. I'm thinking from Vancouver to Yellowstone should be about a 2&1/2 day drive towing. Don't know if you are members of the CAA? If so get their latest maps as Donna also suggested. I hope I'm not breaking rules here, but I'd suggest also picking up copy of Woodalls Campground guide.

Default They do exist, but maybe not where you want to go.

Free and very low cost campsites do abound, but I fear not near Yellowstone. You may like to explore the area between BC and Yellowstone on this site. You're likely to find some in rural MT, ID and WA. I know for a fact there are many fishing opportunities in ID, but my knowledge of fishing does not stretch to which type of fishing. :-)

As suggested above, the maps from the CAA / AAA will be a great assett to you, as will Woodalls. Last time I got camping info from AAA (2013) I was told they no longer produce a camping guide and handed me Woodalls. Perhaps that is also the case at CAA. Before going out to buy one, I'd check..... assuming you are members. If not, I would definitely join before your trip. Cheap insurance for the unexpected.

Lifey

Good Sam also puts out a directory of camping and RV parks: just click here. I'm sorry to hear that AAA has dropped their CampBooks -- we used to use them when we were tent-campers, and a little bit with our tent-trailer. (Then we switched to Good Sam/Camping World ERS.)

Donna

6. Default

hi Donna,
    thanks for your post. Yellowstone is on our itinerary only for 2-3 days where we would have a reserved camp site in advance. we wanted to map out a round trip, using Yellowstone as our furthest destination. we were looking at stops along the way to do some river or stream fly fishing. I was on www.freecampsites.com and the sites are probably comparable to BC's Forest Service camp-sites, which we love and use all the time. no services are ok with us. that is what i was asking about in terms of back road conditions for pulling the trailer. if anyone has used these rv sites let me know which ones are worth going to and which ones are not.
    thanks again,
    sherry b

If you plan on going off paved roads towing a trailer, I wouldn't do it unless you are towing with a 4 wheel drive truck or large SUV with high ground clearance.

That domain no longer has content, only a "for sale" sign.

Default Forestry Service and BLM campgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry B View Post
    I was on www.freecampsites.com and the sites are probably comparable to BC's Forest Service camp-sites, which we love and use all the time.
    The link I posted gives the Forest Service and BLM Public Land campgrounds with descriptions and directions and the state of the roads into them. All are either free or very low cost. Some are developed, others are primitive. As well, there is the address of the rangers office in charge of the area, and their phone number. So you can always call if you have concerns about the roads leading in.

I went to the link you posted, and all I found was pages with more links, and descriptions on how to find. It did not lead me to a list of free sites.

Lifey

9. Default

Hi Lifey,
    oops, my mistake. www.freecampsites.net NOT (.com) BLM Public Land site is really good site too. would like to hear from any fly fishermen out there. best spots for fishing not too far off of the interstates, in ID, WY, UT
    thanks,
    sherry B

Default Non fishing ideas.

Unfortunately I do not recall any regular members mentioning an interest in fishing, but you never know ! Other than fishing, a few thoughts. I would recommend at least 3 days in Yellowstone as the park is huge and slow going yet quite magnificent. The Grand Tetons are also worth a visit just to the south where you will also find Mormon Row. You could detour through Glacier NP one way and through the north entrance and use the south entry point for the Tetons. It would be possible to visit Craters of the Moon NP and possibly head towards Shoshone Falls, aka 'The Niagra of the west'. In Twin Falls you have the Snake river canyon of Evil Knievel fame and Perrine Bridge. Depending on how far you want to venture and what your time scale ends up being, you could visit places as the Columbia River Gorge into Portland, Mt Ranier and much, much more.

One thing about 'Free camping' is the sites are often off the beaten path and could cost time and money in gas.