1. Default Seattle to NYC via California, Texas etc...

Hi!

We've been planning a road trip- arriving in Seattle on May 9th and roughly following this route:

day 1,2: Seattle
    day 3: Portland
    day 4,5,6: Portland to San Francisco (which places to visit on the way?)
    day 7,8: San Francisco
    day 9: Santa Cruz (because Lost Boys was filmed there)
    day 10: Big Sur
    day 11,12: LA
    day 13: Joshua Tree
    day 14: Death Valley
    day 15: Las Vegas
    day 16: Grand Canyon
    day 17,18,19: to Austin (which places to stop over? Albuquerque? Roswell?)
    day 20: Austin
    day 21,22: New Orleans
    day 23,24: Memphis
    day 25,26: Nashville
    day 27: Washington (drop car and travel via train)
    day 28: Philadelphia
    day 30,31,32,33,34: NYC

I think we may have 3 days leeway so where should we spend more time?
    Does the route sound feasible? I know there are some long drives but hoping it leaves us with enough quality time in most places.

And also- I got a quote a while back from Alamo when we originally wanted to drop the car in NYC and they didn't charge a one way drop off fee but unfortunately I can't find any deals anymore without that fee. Any advice there?

Thanks!!

Default Well done.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

You've been busy doing a great job on that itenary. You could add one of your spare days to the Grand Canyon, which is a place where you really could spend more time. Along the PCH I would plan on getting a little further south than Big Sur - San Simeon perhaps? Big Sur to LA is really more than a day's drive. The coast road is pretty slow going.

You don't say where you are flying in from, but if it is from Europe you could try one of the European consolidators, such as carhire3000.com. There are several. We often hear that members who book cars through those organisations have their one way fee waived.

Lifey

Default A few thoughts.

Welcome, that's a wonderful trip to look forward to !

From Portland a popular choice would be to cut across to the coast and visit the Redwoods on the way south, either from Grants Pass or travel some of the Oregon coast. North of SF you will find Point Reyes, Golden Gate Rec area, Muir woods and the wine growing region of Napa valley. From Portland you could first head east along the Columbia River Gorge and other inland options would include Crater Lake, but in May much of the park will still be covered in snow.

From the Grand canyon you could first head through Monument Valley and past Four Corners on the way to Albuquerque. As mentioned above an extra night at the GC would be time well spent, or if you decided to go through Monument valley you could spend the 2nd night at the Cameron Trading post just outside the east entrance.

Nashville to Washington is more than a day's drive and you should plan an overnight stay on route.

I would recommend an Alcatraz tour while in San Francisco and if it appeals to you, I would recommend booking in advance to avoid long queues at the ticket office. Use the National park website to do so, it's the only place to buy official tickets without having to take extra tours or pay agent fee's.

4. Default

Ah, brilliant! Thank you for the wonderful suggestions and thank you for not being negative about the timescale in which we are doing this! I have posted on other forums and have had a lot of negative comments about the (short) length of the trip. I realise we will be doing a lot of driving but it is a road trip after all. I have visited most of the cities before and my travel partner has been to LA and New York so it's more about the adventure than seeing all the sights in each city.
    I'll make sure we add more time to see the Grand Canyon. We will be booking hotels as we go along as we don;t want to be too bound to being in certain places at certain times. If we enjoy spending time somewhere then we can always spend less time somewhere else. The only set point will be the day we drop off the car.
    We are traveling from the UK so I'll definitely check out carhire3000.
    Thanks again!

Default A couple more.

If you decide to head through Roswell you could also check out Carlsbad Caverns on the way to Austin. You may have heard of it, but check out Congress Bridge in Austin aka Bat Bridge. If your into music [Elvis] you could also detour to Tupelo on the way to Memphis and visit the birthplace of Elvis. Dig around the forums and planning pages above and you could find another million and one options. ;-)

I think they maybe one of the same, carhire3000 and rentacars.com] but the best deal we could find on our last trip was from rentalcars.com. However I would urge you to search out all the possibilities as deals change constantly in the battle to relieve you of your 'hard earnt'.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions and thank you for not being negative about the timescale in which we are doing this! I have posted on other forums and have had a lot of negative comments about the (short) length of the trip.
    You did your own figuring and it showed. At RTA, we try to educate folks to realize that 550-600 miles a day on the freeway is a full day. Your planning shows that you took that into consideration.

BTW, I concur with the suggestion to find a way to include an extra day at Grand Canyon. Even in May, it's going to be busy....and this is an incredible place to take in, and try to include every viewpoint. Another idea is to try to do the Petrified Forest National Park drive on your way to ABQ.

Donna

Default To book or not to book.

Quote Originally Posted by btiddles View Post
    We will be booking hotels as we go along as we don't want to be too bound to being in certain places at certain times. If we enjoy spending time somewhere then we can always spend less time somewhere else.
    That is the way many of us like to travel. However, there is a caveat. If you would like to stay within a national park, or even close to it, you would be well advised to book beforehand. For the Grand Canyon I fear you may be already too late. Check the national parks booking site, you could be lucky to pick up a cancellation. There's nothing like staying within the park and pick up a sunset and / or sunrise (or both). Even hotels close to the canyon, in places like Williams and Tusayan, book up fairly quickly.

The other time I would think to book is over a holiday weekend, such as Memorial Day weekend, which is the last weekend in May. It could pay you to at least set those days, as well as the 'car drop off date'.

Lifey