1. Default Driving from Philadelphia area to Louisville KY with 4 kids--8, 10, 15,16

Hi--looking for some ideas for a fun roadtrip with kids going from Philadelphia to Louisville! Thanks

Default Not Far Off the Beaten Track

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Even taking the fastest route to Louisville, you couldn't get there in a day, so the obvious thing to do is to take a couple of days (or more) and take a slightly less direct route that takes you to a number of attractions. Start out by taking the PA Tpk to US-222 to Lancaster, then follow US-20 to Gettysburg and beyond to Chambersburg. There take I-81 down to Hagerstown and get on I-70 west. At Big Pool, there are a couple of great stops Fort Frederick and a section of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park. Take I-68 when it spits off from I-70 at Hancock MD and maybe even follow sections of historic (and scenic) US-40.

At Morgantown WV, I-68 hook into I-79 which you'd take south past Pricketts Fort State Park to Charleston and I-64 west. Worth a stop along this road are Carter Caves and werhaps some of the Bluegrass horse farms around Lexington

AZBuck

Default US 40 in West Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Take I-68 when it spits off from I-70 at Hancock MD and maybe even follow sections of historic (and scenic) US-40.
    Only last week I drove this route. Reading up on it a little will probably make its significance more meaningful, particularly to the teenagers. There is some interesting architecture to be seen, as well as quaint strip shopping areas.

Lifey