Default Please advise on two-week road trip in October 2014

Dears,
    I had a great honeymoon with you guys' help last October, despite the shutdown of the federal government.

I visited LA, SD, LV, SF, redwoods and Monterey, driving over 2000 miles.

This year I plan to have another two-week road trip at about the same time, early October, because we have national holidays from Oct 1st to 7th that can be freely utilized.

It's April, still half a year away, but it's easier to book cheap flight tickets now (about $1000 for round-trip), so I am thinking about the trip, although I haven't decided any details at this stage.

One pity of last year's trip is we missed all the national parks, which were closed. So one option is to go around the Grand Canyon and Yosemite and the nearby area, maybe arrive at Seattle finally.

I am also very interested in the historic route 66, but after some research online, I think to appreciate it fully (or adequately at least), two weeks, considering overheads such as jet lag, is too short a period.

I heard that Yellowstone, a popular destination for Chinese, is probably unfeasible in October. So I have to rule it out, right?

So, my question is simple, big, and maybe stupid: where shall I go?

Thank you for your help~ :P

Kev
    from Shanghai
    Last edited by kevin_chn; 04-07-2014 at 09:36 PM. Reason: mileage mistake

The first week of October is actually an excellent time to visit Yellowstone. Most of the crowds are gone and (barring an early season snowstorm) all the park roads will still be open. However, note that it can get cold, especially at night, and a lot of park facilities will be closed for the season. Another advantage is the hotels/motels in the area will have lower off-season rates.

If you only have a week and want to visit Yellowstone, you should fly into the closest city you can. The only major city within a 1 day drive is Salt Lake City. There are smaller cities with airports that are closer, but airfares are going to be high and you will have to connect through a major city to get there.

Another option is the Grand Canyon, southern Utah parks, Death Valley, Sequoia, and Yosemite - the most centrally located city would be Las Vegas.

Default A grand loop.

How great to hear that despite the disappointments last year, you still had a great trip. Trust this year will make up for it.

I'd have to vote for the Grand Canyon and Southern Utah parks. With two weeks you could create a loop out of LV. If you search around the forums you will find much information on such a trip, as it is probably the most popular roadtrip taken. This thread may get you started.

Lifey

Default Tough decisions.

The wonderful thing about a Grand loop as mentioned above is you have so many options and National Parks in a relatively small area and oing a loop means no one way drop off fees on the car rental and more than likely, cheaper airfares. What the weather will be is unpredictable but generally speaking, October is a great time of year to explore Utah and Arizona etc. Yellowstone is amazing and you could spend a week there alone, but winter can come early and the risk of snow and ice are higher. Other than the beautiful Tetons it's a little more isolated than the cluster of NP's in Utah etc.

I misread the original post, I was assuming you only had one week. With 2 weeks, you may be able to squeeze Yellowstone in - if you do, I'd recommend you go there first. A Salt Lake City loop would probably work best here.

Thanks guys, for so much information in just less than a day.

So the general idea is to stick around South West, where the NPs are crowded together? I'll start to do my homework on these places, then~

@Lifemagician, thanks for the helpful link.~~

If you are going to concentrate on the southwest, I'd do a loop trip out of Las Vegas, visit Death Valley and Yosemite first, so the odds will be better of Tioga Pass being open. Then you can come back through Sequoia and head for the southern Utah parks, then the Grand Canyon on the way back to LV. This will roughly be a figure "8" route.

Default Not exactly.

So the general idea is to stick around South West, where the NPs are crowded together?
    I wouldn't describe them as crowded together exactly, but you certainly have more options available with a limited amount of time. Ultimately, it's your trip and your decision to make though, the good news is there are no wrong choices. ;-)

As you research and new questions come up, just ask away !