1. Default LA Area back to Michigan; Route & Site Seeing Advice Please!

We are flying into LA to attend a wedding in San Diego with relatives. (5-6-14) Staying in that area for about 8 days, then driving my son's vehicle back to Michigan. Please, can anyone help with route advice? We would like to travel and see Mt. Rushmore (never seen it before); and any other great places to see on our " leisurely trek " back to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Any assistance would be appreciated. This is a Great site. Thanks...

Welcome to RTA!

How many days will you have for the trip? Will you be leaving from San Diego or LA? I assume you will be starting the trip around May 14th? What are your interests besides Mt. Rushmore?

Default Not really enough to go on.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Before we can give some comprehensive advice, it really would be good to know what you are interested in, what you are looking for, and most of all, how long do you have for the trip home.

So if you can be give a little more information, I'm sure you will get all the help for which you are looking.

Lifey

4. Default

Thanks for responding gl... we are going to back in Redondo Beach around the 14th or so within a few days. We'd like to see Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, and anything else you think may be of interest. Its our first long road trip from W. coast to Michigan in years. Last time was a more southern route thru Colorado, etc. Have never been to Oregon or Montana, but not sure if it would be worth the detour. As far as timing, we don't have a schedule to be back home as we have both retired. Figured as long as we are driving son's car back home, we may as well see some things on the way. Just looking for any advice. Thanks for your time.

5. Default

Life, thanks for your reply. Don't really have a time table. Would like to see Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc. And any thing else you may suggest. Would probably be leaving Redondo Beach around the 14th or so. Thanks again.

Coming out of LA, Yosemite would be less than a day's drive. Allow at least one full day, possibly two or more, there. Then it's about a 2-day drive (or a little more) up to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. (Those should be explored too, if you like scenic beauty!) The good news, Yellowstone will just be opening up the vast majority of the roads around mid-May, so most things will be open. Allow 3 days for Yellowstone and a day for Grand Tetons. You'll want to start NOW for reservations, as they do book early. Fortunately, May shouldn't be as hard as July and August.

In the Mt Rushmore area, there is Custer State Park and its Needles Highway drive -- something I did as a kid and want to go back this summer to see it as an adult. There's also Wind and Jewel Caves, if those appeal to you. Devils Tower is between Yellowstone and the Mt Rushmore area (think Close Encounters of the Third Kind).

Only you can decide if WA/OR are worth it to you! There are plenty of things to see up there, too. Take a good look at the RTA Map Centre or a good road atlas, and see what else jumps out at you.

Donna

7. Default

Thanks Donna, you are great. You've given us a lot to think about. You gave some really great ideas. (I just watched Close Encounters the other night for the 3rd time) What a coincidence! I am really enjoying this site. Looks like you and lifey and glc and many others really rock this site. It is really interesting reading all the threads, and learning what others are doing. Have been on Jets most of my life and really don't see anything on our trips. I think like many others on this site, road travel is the very best way to see our beautiful country. Thanks again for your reply. Regards, Carl

Even in May, if you are going to be in the mountains make sure the car has a good set of all-season tires on it. Late spring snowstorms are not all that rare.

If you are lucky, Glacier Point and Tioga Pass may be open when you get to Yosemite. Glacier Point is not to be missed if it's open and Tioga Pass is the best way to leave the park.

At Yellowstone, the road from Tower Fall to Canyon (Dunraven Pass) and the Beartooth Highway are scheduled to open May 23, all the other park roads should be open before then. If possible, you should leave the park via the Beartooth, that is also a "not to be missed" item.

As far as Oregon and Montana goes, it's too early for Crater Lake and Glacier - although the parks will be open, only some of the roads will be. At Crater Lake, both rim drives will most likely still be closed, you will only be able to get in and out the south entrance to the Rim Village. At Glacier, the Going-To-The-Sun Road won't be open till late June.

Default That is something to which I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrin View Post
    As far as timing, we don't have a schedule to be back home as we have both retired. Figured as long as we are driving son's car back home, we may as well see some things on the way. Just looking for any advice.
    Like you, time is not an issue with me. So long as I do not stay longer than my visa allows. I really have a free reign. Here's how I would approach a trip like yours, at this time.

Head for the horizon in the general direction of one of your major destinations, and see what you can find along the way to, and beyond the horizon. Making sure all the time that you enjoy the road and the route. Choosing scenic routes (marked on all good paper maps) as often as possible.

There is nothing like the freedom of the road without strict time limits. No knowing what gems you may come across. No knowing what surprises you may stumble upon.

Here is an article which you may find interesting.

Enjoy

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 04-06-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo

10. Default

Thanks a million Lifey. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I love this site. I read the article you suggested and it is great. With all the suggestions from Donna, GLC, and you I think we can have a great road trip. Again thanks much.... cr