Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Planning roadtrip from Kansas City, MO to San Diego CA w/sons-14 and 23-help

I am trying to plan a road trip with my boys 23 and 14 from Kansas City, MO to San Diego, CA. We have about 9-10 days to do this.
    I would like to go through New Mexico, Arizona on the way there to see-Grand Canyon- Four points in NM, Petrified Forest-anything great I'm missing? Main destination in San Diego is Sea World, unless I would be stupid not to see something else (open for suggestions). Heading back to Kansas City I would like to go more North through Wyoming, Utah, Colorado--interested in seeing the Rocky Mountains, Bryce Cannon and/or any other great must sees. If anyone has any suggestions and/or advice that would be great!

Default Pushing It a Bit

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As you've laid out your planned RoadTrip, you would need a good six and a half days just for the driving portion, leaving only a couple of days in San Diego and maybe a day to spread out among stops en route. That's not a terribly good distribution of time between in-car and out-of-car time, so at this point, I think you should be looking more at ways to cut back than trying to find more places to stop. The first thing I'd do is drop any plans to go through Wyoming. It's a bit out of your way and would mean missing some great scenery and parks along I-70 through eastern Utah and Colorado. The other thing I'd be doing is concentrating on parks that are easily reachable from the main highway and can be seen in relatively short time frames. Examples would include Petrified Forest and Arches National Parks but not Zion or Bryce Canyon. The former is accessible only by shuttle bus so you'd be on their schedule rather than your own, and the latter is far enough off I-15 that you'd spend too much time getting to it and getting back on the highway. Similarly, Four Corners is much too far off your path to be included in this whirlwind tour of the Southwest.

You should stick pretty close to direct routes: I-35/US-54/I-40/US-95/CA-177/I-10 westbound and I-15/I-70 eastbound. That would, as noted, leave you a couple of days in San Diego, and a little time for a few stops at the many scenic attractions along the way out and back. Fortunately, many of the best things about San Diego are all in one place: Balboa Park.

AZBuck

Hello! We regularly go between San Diego and Columbia MO, and can tell you that the trip takes 3 LONG days on the highway via I-70 to I-15. Going from KC to SD via I-35/40/15 is also 3 very long days on the highway. This is WITHOUT sightseeing stops of any type. So there goes 6 days of your 10. Add one more for Grand Canyon, 2 to stay in San Diego before heading back, and that's your 10 days.

As far as what's to see here in San Diego (but I highly recommend that you find more time to allot to this trip!): Click here to a thread all about San Diego. Gee...Sea World, the world-famous Zoo, the Safari Park, beaches, and history are here.

The *fastest* route from KC to SD is I-70 to I-15. Even that is 3 full days as already said, overnights in Denver and somewhere around Richfield/Beaver/Cedar City, UT.

5. Default

Thank to everyone! DonnaR57, our original plan was to go to the zoo but I have several say it's just a zoo so we changed the plan to Sea World. If you only had one thing costly to pick in San Diego what would be it? The zoo and Sea World are very expensive. We will definitely check out a beach but don't plan on being in San Diego more than 2 days. Thanks for your time

Default Which don't you have near home?

Quote Originally Posted by tricia42 View Post
    If you only had one thing costly to pick in San Diego what would be it?
    One way to decide is, which do you have access to in KSC. If there is a zoo closer to home, but no sea world, I would choose the latter. If vice versa, then choose accordingly. (I know what you are saying about the outragious cost.)

Lifey

I may be the wrong person to ask about Sea World vs. the San Diego Zoo. I absolutely do not like Sea World. If I want to see small sealife, I'll go to Birch Aquarium -- cheaper and it's absolutely nothing like the theme park that Sea World is becoming. If I'm going to spend big bucks, I'll go to the Zoo.

My daughter and her family have a Zoo membership. They debated between Sea World membership, and the Zoo and decided that the Zoo was much more to their liking, too.

Donna

Default Another thumb down

And I am not a fan of Sea World either -- mostly because of their dismal care of Orcas and other large mammals. The Zoo, on the other hand, is delightful -- especially the butterfly exhibit. I also like the Wild Animal Park.

Mark

To add a little more to what I said earlier:

The San Diego Zoo is different from most zoos. The Safari Park (what Mark linked as "Wild Animal Park" which is its former name) is absolutely different. In both parks, the animals are placed in enclosures that resemble their natural habitat. In the Safari Park, many of the enclosures are so huge and the fencing is practically indistinguishable so you don't know where it is when you look at it. I've been to a number of zoos in the US, but the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park/Wild Animal Park are the biggest ones I've ever been in. There are a few educational programs, or "shows", at each park, but you will really learn something at them.

Sea World is just too commercial for my tastes. Their "shows" are not nearly as educational as the Zoo's, IMHO. As a matter of fact, there's a lot of vying for "the wet seats" there. There are also rides that resemble those found in Disneyland at SW. If I want to go on rides, I'll drive up to Anaheim. Also, SW charges you the other arm and a leg for food to feed their animals, after charging you an arm and a leg to get in, in the first place.

Daughter was talking about the butterfly exhibit at the Safari Park a couple of weeks ago, Mark. :-) She loved it and our grandson tried to reach for several butterflies!

Donna

Being that the Safari Park is part of the San Diego Zoo system, you can get a 2-park ticket and see both. If you look around online, you can also find discount coupons.

In my opinion, neither of them is "just a zoo". The zoo itself is generally regarded as one of the best in the world, and the Safari Park is unique.