1. Default New Jersey to New Mexico in October

Hello all,
    I am a newbie to all of this, I live in NJ and have never been any farther west than Harrisburg Pa. The longest I've traveled has been about 8 hours with my boyfriend on a trip to Vermont. We both really enjoy the driving trips and I have always wanted to go to the Balloon Fiesta in New Mexico, so it looks like we might just combine to two and drive out there.

We expect to go to AAA to see what kind of travel routes and things to do they may suggest, but I want to know what I should know from the people who have actually gone out and done it! We want to see everything on the way down and be able to spend a few days in NM for the fiesta.

What are some Must make stops? And about how much time do we need to enjoy the trip without feeling rushed?

Thanks so much everyone!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The great thing about roadtrips is that you can build them around the things you are interested in. That's why we generally don't do "must sees" on this forum, especially when you're talking about a cross country trip. There are just too many possibilities, and what is must see to you, might be must avoid to someone else, so without having some ideas of what else might strike your interest. In other words, there's no way you could see "everything" on the way there, unless you had years to make the trip! We really need a little more help from you to get started with specific suggestions.

The other big question is how much time do you have? It's 2000 miles from Newark to Albuquerque, which means you're looking at a good 4 days, each way, to make this trip at a reasonably comfortable pace. That would not be quite a speed run, as you'd have time to make a few short stops every day, but that wouldn't include any detours or destinations that require any significant extra time.

Melbourne, Australia

Default AAA for maps, not the route.

When you go to the AAA, rather than get them to give you a route, ask for a map of all the possible States through which you could travel - not just the ones through which you will be travelling. Then sit down together and look at the myriad of attractions you can find on those maps. Do a little research on each one which looks interesting to see if they are the sort of attraction on your must see list. During this research you will discover other attractions nearby, which could also interest you. Soon a route will develop, making it your unique roadtrip.

Why travel someone else's route? Why visit someone else's must sees? Design your own and you will soon find that half the fun and excitement of the trip is the planning phase.