Default Sim Card while in the USA

Hi there,

so I have posted another thread about my road trip in May going from Miami to San Francisco and than down to Los Angeles.

Now one major thing I still need to sort out is getting a good deal on a SIM card for the states as I am travelling from Australia and are not in the mood for outrageous roaming bills ;).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get or where to look??

I do have family and friends on both sides of the states, so need to stay in touch with them and also send an occasional text to Germany and Australia.

Thanks again for any help :D.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-01-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Your only choice for a GSM carrier that has good coverage is AT&T. When you arrive in the US, visit an AT&T store and talk to them about a "Go-Phone" sim. This is a no contract prepay plan.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Your only choice for a GSM carrier that has good coverage is AT&T. When you arrive in the US, visit an AT&T store and talk to them about a "Go-Phone" sim. This is a no contract prepay plan.
    why does it have to b so complicated in the states....so much easier here in australia :p.

Thank you for the help though, much appreciated :).

Default My AT&T Sim.

For a couple of years now, I have had an AT&T sim card, and have found it quite satisfactory. Can't say I have ever been in a spot, other than remote Alaska, where I could not get coverage. Rates too, are reasonable. Well, they have to be for me to be able to afford it. I prepay, so no nasty surprises, and can monitor my usage online. I use mine in a 'dumb' phone for calls and text only. When I have had a hiccup, I have usually been able to find a knowledgable and obliging customer service officer in one of their shops.

[Unfortunately the plan on which I am has been discontinued. However, by paying $100 it gives me continuity of both that plan, and my number for 12 months, which really suits me, as I visit family every year. I do end up using all that, and more, each visit.]

Lifey

Thanks Lifey :)

I did end up getting an AT&T sim card plus prepaid plan as well, should be all good hopefully as they seem to have the best coverage in the US.

I went to mrsimcard.com.... they have a lot of other cards on offer as well...I guess it just comes down to whatever suits your needs best and what your budget is etc.
    It's a good source to see what companies are out there and then you can do a google search on each of them to find out if they are any good or not and after that make an somewhat informed decision :p.

Hope that helps others as well :)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-01-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: preferred linnk format herein

Hi
    My wife and I purchases an Australia Post travel sim last year before our 8 week roadtrip. Just topped it up on line as we needed. Good local and international rates.

John

Default Possible benefit from new service: FreedomPop

I received a press release earlier today from FreedomPop.com:
    FreedomPop, America’s fastest growing telecom company, offers free and affordable mobile plans suited to international travelers. With FreedomPop, travelers no longer need to pay roaming charges, rent international phones, download video chat and text apps such as Skype or Oovoo, or be restricted to using the same plans as their friends and family so long as they have access to Wi-Fi and a FreedomPop phone. Since FreedomPop utilizes a VoIP network, users accessing a Wi-Fi connection are able to make and receive calls from overseas using their US phone number without additional charges.
    I'm not sure it would help if you weren't already a US resident -- and I'm not even sure that this service constitutes a real-life discount -- but I thought I would throw this out there for your review.

Mark

That doesn't really look like an actual Cell Service to me, since it appears you have to have access to wi-fi to use it.

Most people can actually do the same sort of thing with their current smartphone. For example, I use the GrooveIP app on my Android Phone, which links with a Google Voice account, for unlimited free calling over wi-fi. I still have my regular T-Mobile service for placing calls when I'm out and about.

Default Not a domestic carrier

Michael,

This service isn't intended for US residents using it domestically. It was originally intended for US residents using it overseas without the need to get additional SIM cards or international calling plans. (It's a relay system like Skype but with greater range -- I think)

What I was wondering and why I posted in this thread -- is whether or not foreign nationals could use it in the USA.

Mark

Default Don't think it is a *phone* sim.

That looks like it is an internet sim, rather than a phone sim. Don't think it would work in my dumb phone. It looks the same as the internet service I have back home, via a sim card.

Lifey