1. Default Madison, WI to Seattle Washington

We need advise on a route driving a small UHAUL truck from Madison, WI to Seattle, Washington. We would like to not drive over 8 hours a day. I want to make sure we have lodging, places to gas up and food. I've heard there are long stretches where we won't be able to find any of these. No time to stop and smell the roses. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the RTA Forum! When will you be making this trip?

What you've heard about long stretches really isn't true. It is pretty rare to go more than about 50 miles between places on the interstates with food/gas/motels. These highways are traveled by thousands of people every day, and businesses are there to cater to them.

8 Hours a day is a nice even pace to shoot for, and it will take you 4 days to make the trip. Based on your 8 hour goal, I'd plan on taking I-90 for the entire trip, stopping in Mitchell, SD; Sheridan, WY; and Missoula, MT. Alternatively, if you'd like to take I-94 across North Dakota, you could switch out your first two stops for Fargo and Miles City.

3. Default

Thank you so so much!

Welcome to RTA!

Take I-90 all the way. You don't have to worry about services, you shouldn't be more than an hour or so away from them all the way. The drive is just under 2000 miles, and you should be able to do it in 4 full days. Good overnight stops would be Mitchell SD, Buffalo WY, and Missoula MT. If you want to extend it to 4.5 days, look at Sioux Falls SD, Spearfish SD, Bozeman MT, and Spokane WA.

Note: I-94 is a bit shorter, but I don't recommend it for 3 reasons - you will have to deal with the MSP metro traffic, lodging and services in western ND are very expensive due to the oil boom, and it does have some pretty desolate areas.

I agree with the others. I 90. Regardless of what others may have told you, we really have moved into the 21st century out west. You'll find plenty of places to eat, sleep, and refuel. Most hotel chains if not all, and truck stops have web sites noting their locations. Once you decide where you'll make your nightly stops you can make hotel reservations in advance.

You shouldn't even need to make reservations if you are off the road before dark. I have very seldom pulled up to a hotel on an Interstate highway and been told that there are no rooms available.

Making reservations may put you in a situation where you feel that you "have" to keep driving if you are getting tired or you get behind "schedule" due to traffic or road conditions or mechanical delays. Conversely, you may make better time than you anticipated and want to drive another hour or two.

7. Default

Thank you.