1. Default Fastest way to get from San Diego to Boston area?

We are driving from San Diego to the Boston area in late May. Any suggestions on how to get there the quickest (routes)? Anything on the way we MUST see? Any motels/campgrounds/parks to stay at? We will then travel back to San Diego so we can sight see in California and San Diego on the way back. I was thinking of making the first sleep spot at Wigwam Motel in Holcomb.

There are two possibilities that I am thinking of, both around 3000 miles and about 50 hours of driving (i.e. 5 days of driving 10 hours per day, and that includes your stops). This time/mileage would not include sightseeing stops on the way there or back. You would have to add time for those! Since this is a round trip, you could go to Boston on one route and take a different one back.

One route: Get on I-15 and take that all the way up to Utah, where you pick up I-70 at its western terminus. Stay on I-70 through Utah into Colorado. In Denver, get on I-76 east which you take to I-80. Stay on that until 80 merges with 90, then take 90 all the way into Boston. Advantages of this route: Beautiful scenery through Utah and Colorado! Plenty of places along that part of the route for stretch breaks in a cool environment. Disadvantages: Tolls in IN, OH, NY and MA.

Another possibility: Take I-15 up to Barstow, where you'd catch I-40 at its western terminus. Take I-40 to Oklahoma, where you catch I-44 (toll road) to MO, through MO, and catch I-70 in STL. Stay on I-70 to I-81 in PA. Take that north to I-90 into Boston. Advantages to this route: you'd be able to use that idea of staying in the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ (assuming that's what you meant), less tolls than the other route. Disadvantages: lots of interchanges to make.

My husband has done both of these routes at one time or another, and we've done the I=70 across the country several times too. Both are all interstate, which is helpful in a "speed run".

Donna

The first route described by Donna is the fastest, but tolls are over $40. The second route she described is not efficient at all and still involves considerable tolls, I would offer this as a much better alternative:

Take I-8 to Gila Bend, AZ-85 to I-10, go east to Loop-101 around Phoenix, I-17 to Flagstaff, I-40/I-44/I-70 to Columbus OH, I-71 to I-76 to I-80 to I-81 to Scranton PA, I-84 to I-90 (Mass Pike) to Boston. This adds about 1 hour and cuts the tolls to under $10.

Note: A scenic option that would not add any time, as long as you can get through Phoenix without getting delayed, is stay on I-10 through Phoenix to AZ-202 to AZ-87 to Payson. Then take AZ-260 to AZ-277 to AZ-377 to AZ-77 to Holbrook.

Default Good route.

Having done this run twice now, I would highly recommend you follow the route laid out by glc. Not only does it manage to avoid most of the tolls, but from my experience it avoids most heavy traffic. Especially in the north east and around the lakes, I-80 and I-90 always seem to carry a lot more traffic. I-81 and I-84 seem to carry a lot less, and are free to drive.

Depending on exactly where you are going in Boston, you could even avoid that last bit on the MassPike, which is nearly always congested.

Lifey

I've done the exact route that GLC recommended, and I would have recommended it too except that it was about 80 miles longer. You asked for the fastest, and that one adds a hair over an hour more to the trip.

When we did the trip, our overnights were a bit different because we stopped to see family in the Phoenix area. So our stops were Phoenix, Santa Rosa NM, Sallisaw OK, and Staunton, VA. Yours will be different because you want to make your first stop in Holbrook, and you are going a little further than we did. (Our stop was in NJ, but later, on a separate trip, we went north from NJ via I-84.)

Donna