Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default September CA>NV>UT>AZ>WY>ID>NV>CA

Hi all,

First off, this is just the forum I have been looking for, so props for whoever created it.

I am planning my Honeymoon road trip for this September, and have it somewhat planned, but like most things it is always open to interpretation. We are Australian, but have worked and played in the USA before, and went on skiing road trip in January 2013 where we did see some places like Vegas and Moab (where I proposed under the Delicate Arch).

We are flying into LAX early morning Sept 16 and will be hiring an SUV (pre arranged). Flying out of LAX on Sun Oct 12

In a nut shell, here is the trip plan, with the first column where we are staying the night, and the second what is classified as a travel day or a full day at the location. Things are always subject to change especially towards the end of the trip (we may head straight from San Fran to LA and see a sports game on the weekend, and maybe hit up six flags).

What I am interested in, based on this plan, is anything I have over looked. We have in the past done some 10 hour interstate drives to get from A to B (with no time to check out things on the way), so always an option if the scenic route isn't really worth it and there is more to check out at either end of the drive. We will most likely be doing day hikes and adventure activities at each location (i,e Angel's landing in Zion), (Snake River Fishing in Jackson), (Riding in Moab) etc etc.

Night Day
    Vegas Driving
    Vegas Full Day
    Vegas Full Day (Hoover Dam)
    Vegas Full Day
    Zion Driving
    Zion Full Day
    Zion Full Day (Grand Canyon North Rim)
    Zion Full Day
    Torrey Driving (Stop over on Scenic Byway 12)
    Moab Driving
    Moab Full Day
    Moab Full Day
    Moab Full Day
    Salt Lake Driving
    Salt Lake Full Day (Bear Lake)
    Jackson Driving
    Jackson Full Day
    Jackson Full Day
    Jackson Full Day (Yellowstone)
    Jackson Full Day
    Jackson Driving
    Elko Driving (Stopover)
    San Fran Full Day
    San Fran Full Day
    San Fran Driving (Hwy 1)
    Cambria Driving (Stop over Hwy 1)
    LAX Fly Out (11pm)

Interested to see what people think about the plan.
    (Also, I LOVE driving, so no issue with the amount of miles it is).

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a pretty good plan laid out.

The only one real area I'd suggest a change is Jackson/Yellowstone. Jackson is too far away and Yellowstone is just too big for it to be a good base to explore Yellowstone. It's close to 3 hours one way to northern parts of the park, like Mammoth Hot Springs. Yellowstone is also a place where you really need to spend more than one day. 2-3 days is really the minimum needed just to scratch the surface. The other thing you will have to remember with Yellowstone is that you will be there at the very end of the travel season and most of the park's services will be shutting down for the winter.

Thanks Michael!

We have good friends in Jackson, hence the stop over there.
    I've never been there without snow on the ground in over 5 separate trips, so I am excited to see what it all looks like.

I know we could probably spend two weeks in Yellowstone itself, but it is one of many Parks we are going to visit.

Would heading to Yellowstone and maybe staying one night in the park (at one of the places that hasn't shut down for the summer, or maybe just out of the park in West Yellowstone be a viable option?)

Also, are there any quirky must see places, towns, monuments on the route which are not in the main stop over towns we have listed?

Something else I noticed - the Grand Canyon North Rim is not really a day trip from Zion. It's 110 miles each way, all on 2 lane roads.

Default Tweaking a little.

Definitely plan on staying a night in Yellowstone. Staying inside the park is preferable, though West Yellowstone is a good second option. The park is huge, and if you get there as early as you can on the first day, you could have the best part of two days exploring this amazing place. Is there anyway you could reverse the trip, and visit Yellowstone earlier in the trip?

As mentioned, the North Rim is not a day trip from Zion. I'd suggest you go from Vegas to the North Rim, and then back to Zion, staying a night at the North Rim. That will also give you the amazing experience of witnessing a sunset and / or sunrise over the canyon.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Something else I noticed - the Grand Canyon North Rim is not really a day trip from Zion. It's 110 miles each way, all on 2 lane roads.
    According to the North Rim lodge website, they are either booked out or closed for Sept.
    It's strange, there is availability all other times, but Sept is completely blanked out.

I've emailed them to find out.

Even if you can't get a room at the North Rim, you still might look at staying closer than Zion. Kanab could be a good choice, it could also set you up nicely got also explore Bryce Canyon for a day, as you start making your way to SLC.

Staying in Yellowstone (or West Yellowstone) would very much be a good idea, although I'd recommend 2 nights. You could leave Jackson and explore the southern loop of the park (most of the attractions are along a route set up like a figure 8) the first day, spend the night in/near the park, use day 2 to explore the northern loop, spend a second night in/near the park, and then head out on the road for SF from Yellowstone the following day.

Default Lodging alternative for North rim

Jacob Lake has nice lodgings and cabins at reasonable rates and is reasonably close to the North rim. Zion is to far away as said previously. Don't forget Bryce canyon on the way to Torrey, it's quite amazing to see and won't take too much time to enjoy. Presumably you will be visiting Arches and Canyonlands NP's while in Moab and if that's the case, it would make sense to buy a National parks annual pass for $80. It would save you money and is available from the kiosk of the first National park kiosk you come to.

Talking of National parks, if you were to pull a day or 2 from elsewhere you could drive across the Sierra's and into Yosemite NP on route to San Fran, it's up there with the best of them !

Great info, thanks!

Hi, We did a trip from BC Canada last Sept to Yellowstone/Utah... if you check out my post..type in southern bc-yellowstone-utah in this search engine... you might find some interesting info. I like to look for interesting things to see. Like climbing the ladders and seeing old cowboy camp in Needles... Cave Spring a must see. Also Slot Canyon near Goblin SP... google the areas and amazing things to see pop up
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-15-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added the referenced link (I think)