Default Road trip from OH to the outer banks

Hi, I am new here and looking for advice for my trip to outer banks.
    We will be driving from ohio to the outer banks of north carolina. I will have to stop roughly every two hours to stretch.
    I am looking for neat places to stop. I have found one stop, in Pa at the Monroeville Mall- location for the George A Romero movie, Dawn of The Dead. I need help with a few more stops during our 10 hr trip! Advice for anything interesting and neat. I will be traveling with my husband, our 12 & 14 yr old sons, my mother, our cousin and her two daughters that are 9 & 5 yrs old. Thank you!!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Other Stops

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, I can't help you with stops prior to Monroeville because I don't know where in Ohio you'll be starting from. But after Monroeville, some paces that you should consider for their combination of history, scenery and proximity to the main highways would include Big Pool MD which has both Fort Frederick State Park and Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park. After battling your way through or around Washington's traffic, perhaps a stop at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico VA would be in order, or perhaps Mount Vernon would be more to everyone's taste. That would put your final stop in the area of Virginia's Historic Triangle with several attractions that might appeal to your group.