Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Providence RI - > Chicago --> Minneapolis --> Fargo ----> Yellowstone NP ------> SFO

This is my 2nd coast to coast drive. Thanks to this forum last year you guys helped me to plan my trip from Providence RI To LA ( http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...ded&highlight=)

I will be driving with my wife and two friends ( 4 drivers ) . I have made the basic plan below . Please advice if you can see anything wrong with it. all suggestion welcomed .

May 23 Friday

Providence to Chicago 972 miles .Journey start ET – noon

May 24th Saturday

Chicago ET – by noon. Rest in motel and Chicago downtown evening .

May 25 Sunday

Chicago sightseeing ( sears tower / millennium park / cloud dome )
    Leave Chicago by 6 pm

Try to reach Eau Claire ( Minneapolis )

May 26 Monday

Minneapolis sightseeing.

Leave for Fargo ( ND ) by 6 pm

May 27 . Tuesday

Brief sightseeing of Fargo

Night halt at Billings ( Montana )

May 28th Wednesday

Yellowstone national park

May 29th Thursday

Yellowstone national park

Leave YNP by 5 pm

Night halt at Jerome ID

May 30th Friday

Jerome ID to SF

May 31th Sat.

Sightseeing in SF

Sunday June 1st

Sightseeing SF till 1 pm

Drop car by 2 pm

Fly out from SF to Boston by 4 pm .

Welcome Back to the RTA Forum!

I can think of few idea to start a trip that would be worse than planning to drive 1000 miles on day one. It is extremely unsafe, and more importantly, it will have you so exhausted, you won't be able to enjoy Chicago, and you'll fatigued for the entire rest of your drive.

On a similar theme, your plans to leave Chicago at 6 at night and try to drive 5-6 hour to Eau Claire, or leave Minneapolis at 6pm and drive 4 hours to Fargo the next day, are all just recipes to have a pretty horrible trip where, at best, everyone is in overtired in a bad mood, and at worse so fatigued they can't safely operated a 2 ton machine at 75 mph.

But that first day could, quite literally, be a killer. Even with 4 drivers, Rhode Island to Chicago is a full 2 day trip, and trying to do it without sleep is extremely reckless.

3. Default

If you're heading out of Chicago at 6:00pm, I'd say crash around Wisconsin Dells. It's only about 3 or so hours compared to the 5+ hour drive to Eau Claire. Plus, the drive from Chicago to Madison/the Dells isn't too terrible - but the drive from the Dells on up can be pretty brutal & gets long at times. Get a good night sleep, hit the road early, enjoy the scenery, and you'll still have plenty of time to do some cruising around the Twin Cities.

Default Optimistic.

As Michael stated, that first day could well be a killer. Then thinking you could enjoy an evening in Chicago downtown, with merely a 'rest' after something like thirty six hours without sleep is optimism at its best. None of you will get any worthwhile sleep in a moving vehicle. Even being a passenger in a vehicle is tiring. As is driving in the dark.

Lifey

5. Default

thanks you very much for your suggestions. we are making alteration in our plan.

we will start our journey on Friday morning from Providence and cover 650+ miles and take rest. rest 300 miles we will do on Saturday morning.

Any other suggestions ?

Default it's still 100lbs of stuff in a 40lbs bag

I have to ask, what is the point of your trip? Unless the goal of your trip is to see how close you can push yourselves to the brink of exhaustion, I just don't see it.

I'm glad to see you've taken the extremely dangerous 1000 mile drive off the table (although 650 miles in a day is hardly a picnic), but still look at what you've laid out.

At this point, you've basically given yourselves a day in Chicago, a few hours in Minneapolis, A single day in Yellowstone (a National Park that really requires 2-3 full days minimum just to see the highlights), and a day in San Francisco.

And just to fit that little bit of enjoyment in, you've got some brutal and really unwise plans for drives. Basically, after each "day" you have exploring those places, you plan to head out in the evening on 5+ hour drives.

I mean, maybe you can do it, but I just don't see how this would be anything close to enjoyable. This is the kind of trip that ends up destroying lifelong friendships. 9 days simply isn't much time to drive from coast to coast. You've really got 7 full days of driving required just to cover the miles on the route you've proposed. Unless you can look at taking 2 full weeks for this trip, I wouldn't even consider doing this myself.

I'd strongly recommend you look at A) getting more time for this trip, B) look at different destinations or C) look at a fly and drive trip if seeing the western US is a priority.

I'm going to pick on the later part of the trip. West Yellowstone, MT to Jerome ID is 275 miles, of which the first 120 miles is on US-20. If this is during the later part of the day, you may have wildlife to be careful of, and it is a slower trip than the I-15 and I-84 sections will be.

Then the next day, Jerome ID to San Francisco is almost 700 miles, of which 110 miles is on another 2-lane highway, US-93. That will slow down the trip.

Fargo ND to Billings, MT is a little over 600 miles, all on freeway, that's not so bad.

Billings to Yellowstone will take you most of the day, leaving you only one other day to "do the park". Most of us suggest at least 3 days to do the park, and 1 of them could be that Billings to Yellowstone route (hopefully you're planning on the Beartooth Highway).

Donna

8. Default

thanks for the suggestions. we are trying to extend couple of days.

between suv and minivan . what should we choose. ?

minivan is costing us $120 more the suv ( total ) ..

The answer is exactly same as when you asked it about your trip last year: It's completely a matter of personal preference. With 4 people, you shouldn't need either an SUV or a minivan. A full sized sedan should cost you much less and in many ways be more comfortable, but if you want to spend the money for an SUV or a minivan, that's completely up to you.

Speaking of your last trip, just for comparison sake, the trip you've planned this year will require you to drive nearly 1,000 more miles, and as you've proposed so far, you'll have a week less to do it. You would quite literally have to drive twice as far each day, compared to your last trip.

Default First things first...

Quote Originally Posted by Ritz19 View Post
    between suv and minivan . what should we choose. ?
    Right now, that is the least of your worries. The choice of car will not make this trip enjoyable, safe and memorable for all the right reasons. Only a good plan will do that. As pointed out above, you are still a long way off what most would consider a reasonable itenary.

Lifey