1. Default Driving from MI to CA

My wife and I are moving to Sacramento, CA from Lansing, MI in 2 weeks or so. We'll be driving our 2012 Civic with some luggage to the west coast. We plan to take I-80 all the way (we should hit it after about 180 miles from Lansing) to Sacramento. How many days do you think we need to reach there? We are thinking of starting here early on Friday morning and reach there by Monday evening. Is that doable? We don't plan to do any sight seeing on the way and reaching there safely in least possible time is the priority. We have never driver for that many days, so don't really know how to plan it. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Apologies if this is not the right forum to ask this question. Please feel free to move it in the appropriate forum if that's the case.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It looks like you are right on track with your plan. 600 miles is pretty much the upper end of what you should drive in a full day on the road. At that pace, you'd need 4 days, so leaving Friday and getting there Monday night is pretty much right on target.

Your best bet is to keep things at a nice even pace, driving about the same number of miles each day (not trying to push really hard at the beginning or end). That means you can look for hotels in Western Iowa (there are lots of small towns right along I-80 with motels, like Atlantic). Cheyenne Wyoming, and Wendover, Utah.

3. Default

Thanks for your reply. Actually, what I was thinking to do was - drive about 700 miles on day 1, 600 each on day 2 and 3 and rest (about 325) on day 4. So, right now we're thinking of doing:

Day 1: Lansing, MI to Lincoln, NE
    Day 2: Lincoln, NE to Rawlins, WY
    Day 3: Rawlins, WY to Battle Mountain, NV
    Day 4: Battle Mountain, NY to Sacramento, CA

What do you think of that? The most I have driven in my life is 600 miles (Lansing to DC) and that took me exactly 10 hours (with breaks). We're excited about the trip but want to make sure we plan properly.

I think your current plan is not a smart one. Just like I said in my previous post, 600 miles is about the most you should try to do in a single day, and you will be much better off keeping things to a nice even pace. If you try to drive 700 miles on day one, you will be a tired driver by the time you get to a motel for the night, and more importantly, that tiredness will carry over, making you will be a tired driver the next day, and the day after.

5. Default

OK, that makes sense. Where do you think I should take halts on I-80 in that case?

I made my suggestions for places to stop in my first response.

Default It's a marathon.

What Michael is saying is, treat this as a marathon. A marathon runner does not tire himself in the first five miles, but has each section planned to the minute, in order to maintain pace for the complete race.

So it is with a road trip. Pace yourself, including your stops throughout the day. Stretch those legs, get the blood circulating and refocus your mind regularly. That way, just like the runner, there will be a reserve should a sprint to the finish line be necessary.

See above where Michael suggested places to look for overnight stops.

Lifey

8. Default

Thanks for the replies. Any advice on how to make sure the car is in good shape before I start the drive? I plan to take it to the Honda dealer soon and get it checked.

There's really nothing special you need to do, but getting it checked out by your mechanic is certainly a good idea. Being that its only a 2 year old car, you really shouldn't have any problems, but let your mechanic know you're about to take it out on a roadtrip and want to make sure there aren't any issues that should be dealt with sooner rather than later.

To add to what Michael has suggested, if you are due for an oil and filter change any time soon, you might want to do that too.

Remember the Tortoise and the Hare story, regarding driving. Slow and steady wins every time!

Donna