Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oklahoma to Oregon in 3 Days...

Alright. I have to go from Norman, OK to Eugene OR in 3 days. I leave the morning of Friday, March 28th and will need to arrive the night of the 30th.

I had been thinking of taking 35 up 80 in Kansas, connect to 287/87 in Colorado and then 80 through Wyoming, 84 through Idaho and Highway 20 through Oregon.

Of course my biggest concern is this requires me to cross paths with some serious mountains which I think we can all agree should have some interesting snow situations. While I can drive in snow, I hate it. Obviously no one can predict exactly what the weather will be like but does anyone have thoughts on this route? Suggestions for another?

Essentially I need the fastest, safest route to get me, my dog and his crate from Norma, OK to Eugene OR...in no more than 3 days. Whew!

Welcome to RTA!

Whew, by any way you go, you're looking at 1900-2000 miles, which equates to 650-675 miles per day. With a dog, that is going to mean three long marathon days. You'll have to get out of the vehicle, and let your pup stretch his legs, pee, etc, probably more often than you think.

Weather wise, you won't know until just before you leave, what the weather-guessers are predicting. The route you look at, 1900 miles, could be perfect. Or maybe you'll need to take a different route to avoid bad weather someplace. Generally, I-80 is lower in elevation than I-70 in most places, but higher than I-90. Yet 90 would cause you to go more miles than you need to go! And you don't seem to have time to spare.

Do be careful, though. Are you sure you can't get another half day for travel? If the weather turns bad, you may NEED it. If the freeways shut down, you can bet that there's a good reason. The US and state highways will shut down in a milli-second for bad weather, but the interstates are only closed when really needed. Since they are the life-blood of our commercial freight, interstates are last closed, first reopened and better maintained during rough weather too.

Donna

Unfortunately there is no more time. My last day at one job is Thursday and my first day at the new job is Monday.

I've driven with the dog before, we did a seven day roadtrip a few years ago. And that was in the summer. He hates long trips but just reacts by staring into the back of my head pathetically :)

Need is a dangerous thing when you're talking about a trip like this. You are already on the very brink of safety for this trip. 650 miles for 3 consecutive days is already a bit more than we'd recommend. Throw in the fact that a large chunk of your drive is going to be non-interstate, and it's not a very good situation. If you really see any sort of bad weather or have any other issue that delays you (even a minor car issue) it will be impossible for you to safely make this trip in your time frame. Compounding things, when you say you need to do something, it tends to increase the likelihood of making bad decisions.

If this is a job transfer within the same company, I would go to your bosses and really demand an extra day. What they are asking you to do would actually not be allowed for professional drivers. If this is a move to a new company, then I would explain to them that while you will do your best to be there on Monday, you may need them to be flexible (if this is a company worth working for, they should understand). Honestly, I can't imagine you'll be in anything close to your best shape on Monday, after 3 straight marathon drives either, so keep that in mind.

I get the concern guys, I do. Its not ideal. But its where I am. This is a new company, not a transfer.

Is there another route you would recommend? If interstates are key, I suppose I could take the southern route and take I-40 over to I-5 and on up. But that adds about 300 miles to the trip.

With the amount of time you have, other routes simply aren't an option. As was mentioned, going the shortest possible route, you are already at the very brink of what is safe. If you start adding more miles on to your trip, it goes from just barely possible, to quite dangerous very very quickly.

Again, you can do this, if everything goes perfectly, but you really have zero margin for error. That is the reality of your situation.

Oh yes, I realize that. I am driving on a hope and a prayer.

Luckily I have a new car (recently tested on a 10 hour drive through Texas), I've got my winter safety kit (water, blankets, flashlights, reflectors, flares, hand warmers) and my OnStar activated. And I'll have my fingers crossed.

I would leave Thursday evening after work and get a few hours under your belt. Every little bit will help.

My software says the fastest route is I-35 to Wichita, I-135 to Salina, I-70 to Denver, I-25 to Cheyenne, I-80 to SLC, I-84 to Portland, then I-5 to Eugene. This is 2050 miles and ALL Interstates.

If you can drive late Thursday, try to make it to Hays, KS. That's going to be between 5 and 6 hours, it's 360 miles. That will give you reasonable drives to Rawlins, WY and Boise, ID for the next 2 nights, and a reasonable drive on into Eugene.

Default Put time in the safety kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    ... I've got my winter safety kit (water, blankets, flashlights, reflectors, flares, hand warmers) and my OnStar activated. And I'll have my fingers crossed.
    None of which is a substitute for having enough time to make this journey safely.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 03-19-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: grammar!

I like GLC's idea of trying to get on the road and covering some miles Thursday night. Having said that, if you're already working all day on the Thursday (and quite possible finishing packing?) traveling 350 miles after work isn't very realistic and/or isn't likely to be any safer than driving close to 700 miles in a day.

Even getting out on the road for 2-3 hours could be a bit help though. If you could make it to Wichita, or even just Blackwell, that does help bring your other days down to more safe distances.

I do also agree with Lifey to a degree about your winter safety kit/onstar. They are both great things to improve your safety if something happens, but they really aren't going to help you reach your goal. Really, if for some reason you need your winter safety kit, then please concede defeat, and recognize you won't be able to make it there on time. Again, problems combined with a deadline are what lead people to quickly get down a dangerous road. Here is an article I'd strongly suggest you read.