Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default LA TO BOSTON. Can my car handle it?

I am in the beginning stages of getting an itinerary together for my upcoming drive to Boston from La. I will be becoming a permanent residence of Massachusetts so it is a must that I drive my car to avoid the expensive shipping costs.

I'm looking forward to the trip but I am nervous as to if my 2004 Honda Accord with 95,000 Miles can handle it. I'm mainly looking for peace of mind on that subject. Is it safe?

But any and all suggestions and considerations to building my itinerary would be graciously accepted. Thanks so much in advance.

Welcome to RTA!

No one knows your car's maintenance better than you do, except for your mechanic. If you have regularly serviced your vehicle, and get it serviced and checked out before your departure, chances are you'll be fine. But do get those hoses and belts checked out. For great peace of mind, if you don't already have a AAA membership, GET ONE. If you do have a problem out on the road, you can call them and they can advise you. We regularly drive vehicles that are older than your Honda, with peace of mind because we regularly maintain them AND we have a AAA membership.

As far as helping your build your itinerary: how long will you have for the trip? If you have 7+ days, you'll have time for a little sightseeing if you want, along the way. LA to Boston by the fastest route is 3000 miles, which is about 5-6 days. If you have the extra time, what interests you? Scenery? History? Etc?

Donna

3. Default

Thanks for the warm welcome and for being so helpful!

Get belts, hoses, ect. checked before departure... consider it done :).

I will be leaving on May 5th, and would like to be there by May 10th-11th. One incentive for the shorter trip is saving costs on hotels. But I would enjoy a scenic route, or possibly a couple must stop places for a 3-4 hour break if time allotted. Basically looking for the path of least resistance :p.

To my husband and I, the paths of least-resistance when on a "speed run" are usually interstates. They usually aren't the most scenic, but there are a few exceptions. And since you're another Southern Californian used to scrub brush and deserts, some of which I will recommend are especially scenic.

However you get to I-15 north from your area of LA, do that. Take I-15 north into Utah. Along that route you have Las Vegas (5 hours from LA), then the Virgin River Gorge where I-15 cuts the northwest corner of Arizona. Beautiful! Through Utah, I-15 is really pretty, with mountains on one side (in early May, MAY have some snow up on the tips, maybe not) and farmlands to the west.

Take I-70 east at Cove Fort. A first good overnight stop is at Richfield -- coupon books are usually loaded with good budget offerings. (We like the Quality Inn there, which is has been a coupon offering for the past 11 years.) Between Salina and Green River, UT, is a 108 mile section with no services, so fuel up at Richfield (usually cheaper than Salina) and check your oil before you set out in the morning. It's the area that is known as the San Rafael Swell, with outcroppings of the very northern region of the "Grand Staircase". Green River is a good place for breakfast, if you left too early to take advantage of the breakfast room at the hotel. Fruita or Grand Junction CO are better places for fuel.

Once in CO, a gorgeous drive awaits you all the way to Denver along I-70. Mountains, plains, Colorado River scenics, Glenwood Canyon, and the famous "hanging highway" through that Canyon.

At Denver, you have a choice to make. You can take I-76 up to I-80, then continue that route all the way into PA where you could catch I-81 to I-84 to I-90. The cons to this trip: I-80 from western IN to Erie PA is mostly TOLL ROAD. Look for the tolls to be around $25, then there will be more once you hit I-90 through MA. Also it goes through the high traffic areas of the Chicago's southeastern suburbs in IN. (As my dad says: UGH!)

Another way would be to continue on I-70, overnighting at Burlington CO next, then around Columbia or Kingdom City, MO the next night, and somewhere around Cambridge OH or Wheeling WV the following night. Then into Boston the next day....several routes you could use, but I'd sure find a way NOT to use I-95, such as going up I-81 to I-84 and I-90. The Con to using this route -- a little extra mileage, a few tolls. The pros: it's prettier in most sections, not as much toll, and it avoids the Chicago traffic!!!!

Hope this helps.

Donna

Default Invest in your safety.

There is no way you will have time to take scenic routes, with a mere five or six days. You will need everyone of those six days to make the trip, especially if this is your first multi day trip. Plan it well.

The best way to plan is to approach it like a marathon. Don't stretch yourself on the first day or two, it will leave you exhausted for the rest of the trip. Take it steady, and plan to have enough in reserve should a sprint at the end be necessary. So set your distance for each day, probably a little over 500 miles, have good meals and comfortable nights sleep. It will ensure your safety the following day. If you are not familiar with Boston, I would aim to get there well before dark.

Look on the cost of hotels as an investment in your safety, rather than an expense to be avoided. Since you will be on interstates all of the way, you can find hotel motel discount coupon booklets at most rest areas.

Do you have time and money in reserve for any unexpected hiccups?

Lifey

6. Default

Donna-

Just mapped out the route you gave me and that is perfect! Thanks so much for the details. Would it be better to plan out stops on expedia or just wait for the coupon books at rest stops?

Thanks again

Lifey-

Appreciate the perspective and reminders for pacing. Both limits on time and money are set to ensure I'm making the most fruegal choices, as I will be living off the money I have for a couple months and the more cushion the better.

Thanks again.

If you take I-70 across, this is what I would recommend to get to Boston, minimizing tolls:

At Columbus OH, take I-71 north toward Cleveland. Take I-76 through Akron to Youngstown and get on I-80 into PA. Take I-81 to Scranton, then I-84 to the Mass Pike (I-90).

Definitely get coupon books, and load up the hotels.com app on your smartphone (if you have one).

This is 3000 miles, and can be done in 5 days driving about 12 hours a day. Overnights would be:

Richfield UT
    Colby KS
    STL (suggest an eastern suburb in IL to avoid morning rush)
    Youngstown OH

Default A recommended route.

As one who travels from the west/midwest to Boston several times each year, I highly recommend the route laid out by glc. It helps avoid not only most of the tolls, but avoids Chicago, and the complete I-80/I-90 corridor. I'd still stick to six days, if you can. It will make for a much more enjoyable and memorable trip.

Besides, I-80 through PA is a pleasant drive and I-81 and I-84 are quite scenic. There is a detour around Hartford CT, but if you are not there at rush hour it's really not worth the bother.

Whereabouts in Boston are you heading?

Lifey

9. Default

Running all this information through google maps and trying to process. Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies every one.

Lifey-
    My girlfriend and I will be moving to Dorchester, but working in the south end. Looking forward to the adventure that awaits! Do you take the trip for business or pleasure?

Default Avoid downtown.

Kermit, mostly to visit family. Living where I do, I make the trip accros the Pacific regularly. Besides visiting family my roadtrips take me to visit friends and do some sightseeing.

If you are headed to Dorchester, I suggest you get off I-90 at I-95/128 south (it will say to Cape Cod), then continue onto I-93 and take route 3 north into Dorchester. It beats going through downtown. As I said before, see if you can make it there during the middle of the day.

If you were to take the six day route, and travelled around 550 miles per day, it would mean half a day's driving on the last day, arriving in the metropolitan area well before rush hour. Count on rush hour starting to build up when school goes out.

Whereas you will no doubt be used to the kind of traffic seeing in LA, it is somewhat different in Boston. There is still all the traffic, but you will experience much narrower roads and streets, and lots more twists and turns. Boston was not built on a grid... more like ancient bullock tracks.

Lifey