1. Default San Diego to Denver

We are traveling from San Diego (Escondido specifically) to Denver leaving April 12th. We have 4 days and are traveling with 2 kids, ages 9 and 11, and a dog. What are some must-see spots and/or a good route.

South of England.

Default The list could go on and on and...

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You could drive the route in a couple of days so you do have a little time to sight see, but there are hundreds of options that could be classed as 'must see', but it's a term we try and avoid here as it depends on the individuals tastes and what appeals to them the most.

I would recommend you look at a good map and see what main attractions stick out to you and then we could help you build a route around them.

A couple of options [from many] that would be high on my list would be as follows.

You could head to the Grand canyon, through Monument valley to Mesa Verde NP and then take the scenic 'Million dollar Highway between Durango and Montrose that takes you through the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray. Next you could take US50 past Black Canyon, through Currecanti Nat Rec area and over the Continental divide at Monarch Pass.

After Grand canyon and Monument valley you could head up to Moab and Arches and Canyonlands NP and then onto I70.

If you have visited the Grand canyon, or just as another option, you could head straight towards Southern Utah on I15 and choose from the wonderful NP's of Zion, Bryce canyon and Capitol Reef while driving UT scenic byway 12 and then to Moab.

There is so much more, including Rocky mountain NP near Denver or a more southerly route through Sedona, Santa Fe, Taos Pueblo, Great sand dunes NP, Pikes Peak, and Garden of the Gods near Colorado Springs.

All these could be classed as 'must see' and you will only have time for a few of them from each route, so it's over to you to let you discover your very own. Once you have an idea of route and your 'must see' we can certainly help to 'fine tune' and make other suggestions.

Southern California

Dave suggested that it's about a two day drive. Having done I-15 to I-70 (or vice versa) many times, I concur. Here are things I thought of:

Zion and Bryce Canyon in Southern Utah. Both are gorgeous in their own way. Arches National Park is Moab is just south of Green River (on I-70). Worth a day! Glenwood Canyon west of Denver is absolutely beautiful. April might still be early for Rocky Mountain NP.

You'll definitely want to check the weather forecast if you use I-15 to I-70 (probably the most "logical" one), because I-70 gets up to over 10,000 ft elevation. The alternate would be I-15, to I-40 to ABQ (which is 800 miles from Escondido) and then north on I-25.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Some more ideas.

If you go I-15, I-70 then be sure to take the detour over Loveland Pass in CO. This comes after having passed through the most attractive parts of I-70. It is a gorgeous route with stunning views. On the I-40, I-25 route there is the Royal Gorge Bridge and Train at Canon City. Something the children would enjoy.

Of course there are numberous attractions along either route, many of which I would think would be of interest to the children, and teach them lots about their country's history and geography.

Enjoy the trip.