1. Default 7 States in 16 Days?!

Hi : D
    I have a few questions hopefully you can help and have some tips. .
    We are planning to visit 7 states in 16 days so want to make the most of our trip, we are interested in different things in each state. So, we are arriving to Dallas on May 1st and want to know what are the must sees in Dallas/Texas? We want to experience texas by doing the touristy things perhaps visiting a Ranch, horse riding, perhaps some good country music in the evening? Then we'd like to drive to New Mexico mostly because we want to see some native american things, is Sky City a good place to go?
    Our next stop would be Colorado where we would like to spend a few days as it looks awesome! We'd like to see the national parks, Aspen, we're quiet active so we'd like to do hiking, bike riding or white water rafting. Will the weather be good to us in May for these things? The other question we have is we're obviously going to go see the grand canyon but we'd like to go see the Wave in Utah too, recently I've seen articles that you have to get a permit? Or can risk getting a 'lottery' ticket. As it's too late to get a ticket, what are our chances of showing up on the day and being able to get a pass?. We haven't booked any hotels/motels and don't plan to as we're hoping to be able to find these as we go.. is this sensible? As we're visiting Vegas too should we book rooms for the bigger cities like that?.. Our last leg of the trip will be California; San Diego to San Fran. We know what we want to do there for the most part but what are the must do's in San Fran and how much time should we leave ourselves for that city? Last question, how much roughly do you think the petrol will cost us, and the hotels (motels) we're hoping to get the best deals and spend the least as possible on the hotels as we'll only be sleeping there.
    Thank you!!

Default Some questions answered

Hi Tom and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

In May, when it is not yet the height of the tourist season, not booking hotels should work. However, I would always book over a holiday weekend. In places like LV it pays to check what special events or conventions are on at the time of your visit. These affect the availability of rooms. (Though as my daughter says, no one sleeps in LV. They paid for a room and did not use it. LOL)

If you are only looking at hotels 'to sleep', look for the discount coupon booklets found at rest areas along the interstates, and at some truck stops and welcome centres.

It would pay you to check out the RMNP web site to see which activities are available in May. It will still be quite cold up there.

One of my favourite attractions in SF was Alcatraz - especially the evening/night tour. As for fuel costs, Gas Buddy is a good resource of the price. I make allowance for at least $4, that way anything cheaper is a bonus.

Lifey

3. Default

Ah thank you for your response!

That's a great tip we will definitely look out for coupon booklets!

Quote Originally Posted by TomCoombe View Post
    Hi : D
    So, we are arriving to Dallas on May 1st and want to know what are the must sees in Dallas/Texas? We want to experience texas by doing the touristy things perhaps visiting a Ranch, horse riding, perhaps some good country music in the evening?
    If you're interested at all in the TV show DALLAS, two things come to mind: Southfork Ranch, where the show is/was filmed, and Weatherford, TX (west of Ft Worth), where JR Ewing himself (actor Larry Hagman) was born and raised.

Then we'd like to drive to New Mexico mostly because we want to see some native american things, is Sky City a good place to go?
    Acoma Pueblo, yes.

Our next stop would be Colorado where we would like to spend a few days as it looks awesome! We'd like to see the national parks, Aspen, we're quiet active so we'd like to do hiking, bike riding or white water rafting. Will the weather be good to us in May for these things?
    Rocky Mountain National Park and Black Canyon of the Gunnison are both highly recommended places to visit. Also in the area, Garden of the Gods and the US Air Force Academy (Colorado Springs, CO) are major places to see. As for the weather, this year everything seems to be jumbled up. Up in RMNP, you may find Trail Ridge Road across the park closed due to weather issues ANY time the year.

Last question, how much roughly do you think the petrol will cost us, and the hotels (motels) we're hoping to get the best deals and spend the least as possible on the hotels as we'll only be sleeping there.
    Thank you!!
    Once you get a definite route figured out, you'll be able to establish your mileage. When we are figuring, we add 20% to the mileage (i.e. 8000 miles + 1600 tourist miles = 9600 miles). Then use the Fuel Cost Calculator on the right hand side of this page. If you're renting a car, you can figure 22 mpg and, if using unleaded regular, $4.25 gal. (We always estimate HIGH.)

As far as the hotels, others have suggested the coupons, and I totally concur. They may or may not be good on Friday and Saturday evenings or on Memorial Day week.

Donna