1. Default Baltimore, MD to Corvallis, OR at the end of March

Hey everyone,

I have just been transferred by my job to Oregon and will be driving out with a uhaul over the span of 9ish days. I know it isn't a ton of time to see/do a lot, but my dad and I would like to see as mush as possible and do some cool things along the way too. We love great food and craft beer (not really into the high end/price stuff, just great tastes and things off the beaten path). We are debating camping for a few days on the trip, but haven't worked out those details yet. Here's the plan so far:

Day 1: Baltimore to Knoxville, TN (no particular reason for here besides distance and on route to future destinations)
    Day 2: Knoxville, TN to St. Louis, MO via Nashville
    Day 3: St. Louis, MO to Kansas City, MO (Friends in Columbia, MO so I wanted a shorter drive to hang out with them some, plus we love BBQ and have been to several in Kansas City before that we loved)
    Day 4: Kansas City, MO to Denver, CO
    Day 5: Denver, CO to Salt Lake City, UT (originally wanted to drive through Yellowstone since I've never been there, but I read that the south entrance is closed to normal traffic until late April)
    Day 6: Salt Lake City, UT to Boise, ID (again, recognizable city name somewhere close to the desired distance in a day)
    Day 7: Boise to Corvallis, OR

I've built in an extra day for now because I'm sure someone will come up with a great idea for me and that will take us another day off the plan, but that's fine by me! We're leaving on Saturday morning 3/22 and my dad just has a flight to catch on Monday morning 3/31, so for the last Day I'd love to be there around dinner and not too late.

I'm open to any an all suggestions that anyone has for us!

Tucson, AZ

Default Work vs. Play

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

U-Hauls, whether a truck or trailer, aren't really the ideal vehicle for getting off the beaten path and doing cool things or camping. The thing is - this is a working trip and that should be your primary consideration. Fun, the random near-the-highway stop, and an occasional craft beer can certainly be had, but they need to be secondary to your primary goal: getting you and your stuff safely to Corvallis.

To that end, here are a some general recommendations. Stop early for the night. It may take a while to find suitable lodging especially if you need pull-through parking, and you'll need to leave time to check 2 or 3 locations if the first place you stop doesn't work out for you. Also, it takes a while to unwind from a hard day pushing a truck down the road, so leave at least an hour of showering and relaxing in the room (not to mention brew tasting) before you can expect to fall asleep. It also helps you get an early start in the morning while still leaving time to check the Weather Channel, get first dibs on any breakfast bar your motel may offer, and get on the road soon enough to make maximum use of the daylight hours. And when you're looking for your night's lodging, make every effort to make it on the far side of whatever city or town you're staying in so that you'll be headed out of town in the morning and not through town at rush hour.

Otherwise, your trip looks well set up. It's always good to have a spare day in hand to deal with any unforeseen weather or mechanical problems. And I would warn you against going too far afield to visit a major attraction such as Yellowstone, even if the roads were open. It is easy to lose a ton of time on such side trips, particularly if they entail narrower two lane roads and a lot of tourist traffic.