1. Default Avoiding National Park crowds

This summer I'm taking a road trip out west to visit a number of the national parks, but I've heard that the camping crowds can be pretty bad. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can cheaply and legally camp/park near the national parks without really dealing with other campers?

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd start by saying I wouldn't rule out camping in national parks. Yes, they can be busy, but most of them are set up where even if the campground is full, they typically have a reasonable amount of space between sites and you don't feel like you are right on top of your neighbors.

Demand for sites really depends upon the specific park, as some parks you can usually find a site just by walking up, even in the middle of summer, others you really need reservations.

Having said all that, if a National Park is full or simply too crowded for your tastes, it is pretty common to have other options near the park. Many National Parks are surrounded by National Forests, which have their own campgrounds that often see much less use than National Parks. It also is somewhat common to have a State Park, BLM lands, or other public camping options nearby, depending upon which parks you'll be visiting.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Looking for camping areas away from the crowds?

This site may be helpful to you.

Last edited by Lifemagician; 03-11-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo

Southern California

When we tent-camped, we made it a point to camp in the national forest campgrounds that were outside of the park. They were less crowded, didn't need to wait in lines for a spot to open up nor get reservations, and they were usually less expensive as well.