1. Default Dallas to New Orleans

Hi,

I'm planning for a 4 day trip (with family) to New Orleans at the end of this month (3/28-3/31). The initial plan is to leave Friday morning and stay overnight in Baton Rouge. Saturday and Sunday in New Orleans. Since I have to be back in Dallas on Monday, I'm thinking of leaving NO by Sunday night and driving 3-4 hrs for the night halt.
    Can you please suggest some good routes, must see & do and anything else I should know.

Thanks,
    Ashish

Dallas to New Orleans by interstate is a good 520 miles (depending on where you're starting from in Dallas). That's a full day's drive -- probably 10 hours, depending on traffic.

I'm a little confused. Are you planning to try to drive all night on Sunday night, or drive for a few hours on Sunday evening and then do the rest on Monday?

Donna

Default A Full Agenda

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The thing is, it's a full day's drive from Dallas to New Orleans, even if you just take the most direct all-Interstate route which is just I-20/I-49/I-10. So as you're already realizing, you'll have to give up some of your two days in New Orleans. But that's not as bad as it seems. Baton Rouge is a good target for the first day's drive, especially if you arrive in time to visit either the state capitol, or its previous incarnation, both on the banks of the Mississippi. Also worth a bit of a detour into town is to head east on I-12 from Baton Rouge and enter New Orleans by way of the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.

In New Orleans itself, the usual highlights are the French Quarter, particularly Jackson Square. But one of my most telling memories from my visit was my climb to the top of one of the Mississippi levees and comparing the water level therein with the 'height' of the surrounding city. If nothing else such an experience made it clear why Katrina did so much damage.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-08-2014 at 07:54 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    I'm a little confused. Are you planning to try to drive all night on Sunday night, or drive for a few hours on Sunday evening and then do the rest on Monday?
    Donna
    Yes, I was planning to leave NO on Sunday night, and drive for a few hrs (around 3-4), stay overnight, and then start for Dallas the next morning. Do you have any recommendation for overnight stay en-route?

Thanks

Alexandria would be around the 3.5 to 4 hour point.

6. Default

AZBuck,

I'm planning to go to New Orleans this weekend and am really interested in climbing the Mississippi levees.. do you have any info on this?

Thanks!

Default Long Ago and Oh So Far Away

The visit to New Orleans I mentioned earlier was back in my college days, much longer ago than I care to admit to. (Hint: I also talk about more recent travels with my grandchildren!) But there are any number of roads that run parallel to the River through New Orleans including Chartres St., Peters St., Tchoupitoulas St., Leake Ave., and the appropriately named River Rd. There are several riverside parks along those streets such as Chalmette Battlefield & National Cemetery, Crescent Park, Woldenberg Park, and Audubon Park. Note in particular the Mississippi River Trail which runs along the top of the levees in New Orleans.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-14-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added Link