Default Washington to Nashville

In September we have a wedding we are attending in Washington. I have a freiend in Nashville to visit and thought I could combine the two with a drive. I am probably only going to have a week but would appreciate any recommendations for routes ad places to visit or stay.

Tucson, AZ

Default One Way or Round Trip?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It sounds as though you'll be flying into the DC area (be sure to check flights into BWI, Baltimore's airport, since it is closer to downtown DC than Dulles and flights into and out of there are often cheaper than either Dulles or National.

A week is plenty of time to do a couple of scenic drives between DC and Nashville as well as spend a couple of days visiting your friend. You should try to cover as much ground as possible by doing a loop and using different routes down to Nashville and then back to DC. There are many such routes but here are two, either of which can be driven in about a day and a half, leaving time for several stops en route.

The easiest was is simply to take I-66 west to I-81 and than follow that down to I-40 west into Nashville. A slower but more scenic alternative would be to use the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway instead of I-81. Major stops along or near that route would include Shenandoah National Park, Monticello in Charlottesville, Mount Rogers National Recreation Area, and Great Smoky Mountains national Park.

The second route I'd recommend would be to keep heading west at Front Royal and use WV-55/US-220/WV-28/US-33 across the Appalachians to Charleston WV and I-64 into Kentucky. At Lexington take the Blue Grass Parkway to I-65 and on into Nashville. Highlights here would be the Ohio River valley, the horse farms around Lexington and Mammoth Cave National Park.

Of course either route can be driven in either direction.

Many thanks for the reply - I will have a look at the map!