Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default East/West/East 6 month trip - Wild Spring Flowers and Birds

I'm shipping my small UK RV over to US in Spring 2015 for a six month road trip with my wife and little dog.
    The theme of the trip is wild flowers. We want to explore national parks, using dispersed camp sites and quiet RV camp grounds in the parks. We'll collect our RV from Baltimore and head SE before swing West. Top spots listed so far for flowers include Smokey Mountains, Crested Butte, Mount Ashland, Mount Rainier.
    Delighted to find this great web site to help with planning.
    Mick

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

That's quite a trip you have planned. Have you got your visa lined up, and how much is it going to cost you to ship the RV? 6 months is long enough where it might be more cost effective to look at purchasing an RV here and selling it when you are done. While that could be complicated, I'd think it might be more cost effective than transatlantic shipping.

You should be aware, there is no dispersed RV camping within National Parks, you'll have to stay within campgrounds. National Forest and BLM lands do offer free dispersed camping in some areas.

Did you have any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

That's quite a trip you have planned. Have you got your visa lined up, and how much is it going to cost you to ship the RV? 6 months is long enough where it might be more cost effective to look at purchasing an RV here and selling it when you are done. While that could be complicated, I'd think it might be more cost effective than transatlantic shipping.

You should be aware, there is no dispersed RV camping within National Parks, you'll have to stay within campgrounds. National Forest and BLM lands do offer free dispersed camping in some areas.

Did you have any questions?
    Hi Michael, just started on the visa quest - had many wavers on shorter trip but need the big one this time.
    Shipping isn't cheap - but we like our newish RV a lot. We're saving hard!
    No questions at the moment - I've had a lot of RV tech help on an RV forum.
    Just enjoying the planning at the moment. Mick

Default That (illusive) visa

I'll be watching this one closely. Would like to know how you get on with your visa. Was at the US Consulate only last week, and what I was told there.....

Well, let's just say, I wish you all the best.

Lifey

I think I'd have a problem driving a right hand drive vehicle on the right side of the road! When I was in the Navy I used to drive a left hand drive American pickup truck on the left side of the road on the base in Japan and it wasn't something I really liked to do. Right hand drive Japanese vans on the base on the left side, no problem.

Default Compatibility?

There are many who have shipped a vehicle from right hand drive regions, and roadtripped with them. But I have never heard of anyone doing it with a large vehicle, such as an RV. The other thing you need to consider is, are your hookups compatible with North America. Not just the electricity, but the screw threads on your water and grey tanks.

Lifey

It's a small RV. An Autotrail Jazz based on a Peugeot Boxer van. Electricity hook ups are sorted after advice from RV.Net. We don't connect our water - just use a hose to refill every few days.
    The visa is the biggest concern. That and flying the Jack Russel dog over (expensive!)

Have you given any thought what you would do if you need any repairs done to the van? Peugeots have not been sold here in quite a few years. I don't even know if you could find items for routine servicing, such as oil and air filters. You should pack some kind of spares kit.

I'll get a full service before we leave and bring some basic spares. Beyond that I'll rely on karma :)

10. Default

I did the cross country thing in Sep-2010 in a Honda Accord. Started in Northern VA. Got on 68 west though Maryland, 79 North and 70 West. I70 West through Colorado and Utah is fantastic. Arches NP, Vegas, Death Valley, Los Angeles. An RV should be nice to save on Hotel Rooms. I took I40 East to get back home.

Please remember that I95 on the east coast is a very dangerous highway because of the aggressive drivers.

The stretch of 95 between Washington DC and Richmond, VA is the worst.

I'd consider 66 West and 81 South through the Shanandoah Valley. 81 South connects to 40 West in Tennessee.