Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Going West in an Antique car

My wife and I want to plan a trip in late May to go from Chicago to mount rushmore, then to Denver and then back home using a different route coming home. we do not want to travel on interstates. we want to travel on two lane roads through small towns, but cannot find any maps or routing to help us. anyone out there have any ideas

South of England.

Default All maps have them.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

All maps will include highways and byways so I am not sure I understand the question. I would first get hold of a good atlas/paper map such as the selection in the RTA shop and do a little research of the areas you might be passing through. You can also create your own maps in the RTA Map centre where you will also find a list of attractions as recommended by RTA contributors. [You will find it by putting your cursor over 'Maps' in the green tool bar above.]

What is important to remember is that you can go anywhere you want if it fits within your time frame and you shouldn't be settling for just following a pre planned route on a mapping program that will try and steer you onto Interstate wherever possible.

Once you have found a few places of interest and have some dots on the map we can certainly help to fill in the blanks and offer suggestions.

I have to ask. What Antique car are you travelling in ?

3. Default

1930 model a ford cabriolet. It would be great to keep the speeds around 40 or 45

Tucson, AZ

Default Antique Methods for Antique Cars

Aye, there's the rub. Modern mapping techniques almost entirely rely on software to determine the basic routing, and that software is going to invariably be set up to find you the most 'efficient' (usually the fastest) routing. That means predominantly Interstates. If you want something else, you'll have to do yourself the old fashioned way, with maps, pencil, and paper. Dave is absolutely right that you'll need a good atlas with relatively large-scale maps in order to find most of the good 'back' roads, but it can be done. I prefer the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Atlas for just those reasons and it is well worth the price.

Just to get you started, I'll suggest a few long-range through routes that you can string together with a few connecting roads to make such an adventure possible:

IL-64/IL-78 into the northwestern corner of Illinois
    IA-3 from Dubuque to the Missouri River/South Dakota
    SD-50/SD-46/US-18 across southern South Dakota

NE-87/NE-71/CO-71/CO-52 from the Black Hills down to Denver

CO-36/US-36/CO-71 to get out of Denver to Brush CO
    US-6 through Sterling to Holyoke
    CO-176/NE-23/US-34 to near Grand Isle
    NE-92/IA-92 from near Grand Isle to the Mississippi River
    IL-92/US-34 back into the Chicago area

Just to give you an idea of what you can do with the proper tools and attitude, I'll tell you of a drive I once made between Wilmington DE (where the bulk of my family lived) and Ithaca NY (where I lived. I had made this trip often enough using the Interstates and Turnpikes, and had even driven US-15 and US-209 often enough that I was looking for something different. So I sat down with a good map and a challenge I had set myself, namely to make the drive using no Interstates, no US highways, and no two-digit state highways. That is I could only use routes like PA-100 (or higher). It wasn't easy to find a route using only such roads and it did take about twice as long to drive, but it was possible and I did have a most enjoyable and thoroughly relaxing drive.

5. Default

Thanks for the help. I will go get one of the atlases. Does the truckers atlas show all the roads

Melbourne, Australia

Default More on maps.

If you are a member of AAA, be sure to get their free maps as well. Each State also puts out its own maps, which often have information on them which others don't. For me, I like to travel with all three, AAA, Rand McNally and the State map, for maximum exposure to what is available. To those I have now added the Public Lands maps, though these do not apply to the area in which you will be travelling.

I don't think the Truckers' Atlas shows forest roads, but just about every other one. The thing is, that whereas some maps show more than others, you will find that if you have a variety, there will be something on each map, which is not on the others.

7. Default

We r a member of triple a but there maps r only show interstate

Melbourne, Australia

Default Paper vs. Computer.

Quote Originally Posted by samsonized View Post
    Are you talking about on the computer, or are you referring to their excellent paper maps. I have maps of theirs of every State and most urban centres, and find them quite comprehensive.

Edit: AAA do have a variety of maps, some are more detailed than others. Ask for the most detailed map of IL, WI, MN, IA, SD, CO, NE and any other State which you plan to cover.
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 03-07-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added more info.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Is there something we're not understanding....?

Quote Originally Posted by samsonized View Post
    Like others on this forum, I am perplexed by what you mean. Every state map I've ever seen whether viewed on a computer or in paper form shows many more roads than just Interstate Highways.

Using the RTA Custom Maps program you can easily "drill down to" roads that are still dirt or gravel and avoid Interstate Highways completely. I think we must be missing some part of your question or something.

I've never seen a Triple AAA map that only showed Interstate Highways....

Southern California

We have loads of maps from AAA, including Illinois' map, and it has roads from interstates and toll roads, all the way down to the county roads. So I'm puzzled too. Please don't discount the maps from AAA. If you're looking at their US, or their Western US map, those do stick to Interstates, US and State highways and don't include the county roads or forest roads. But most of their state highway maps include the smaller roads!