Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Bristol Ct to Victoria TX

Hi guys...I am planning my first road trip pulling a U haul trailer with 2004 Chevy Siverado with a 5.3 motor..driving down from Bristol CT to Victoria TX..I am thinking of phasing it over 3 days..stopping at night..what would be the best route to take? also roughly where would my stops be..fuel....good hotels/motels places to stop for dinner...Thanks..

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This trip is doable in 3 days, but it will be 3 very long days, especially when you factor pulling the trailer. You're going to have to travel a bit more than 600 miles a day, which is going to be a good 12 hours each day on the road while towing, and really a bit more than I would recommend. If you have any sort of delays, be it weather, mechanical, etc, you'll really need a 4th day

As far as route, your first priority should be to avoid NYC, so I'd take I-84 to Scranton, and then start heading south on I-81. Take that all the way to Chattanooga, then use I-75/I-59 to get down to the Gulf Coast, and then I-12/I-10 into Houston and onto your final destination.

For overnight stops, you'll be looking at Wytheville, Virginia, and then either Meridian or Laurel, Alabama. All of those places will have multiple hotels to pick from, based on what you are looking for in terms of budget/amenities, and will have plenty of places to get a meal at the end of the day. There is no reason at all to preplan your fuel stops, as there will be plenty of truck stops and gas stations all along your route.

Towing a U-Haul, which is limited by rental contract to 55 mph, it's going to be more like 15 hours a day for 3 days including food, fuel, and rest/bathroom stops.

I'd plan on overnights in Staunton VA, Chattanooga, and Lafayette LA. If you can safely make it farther, go for it, you will never be more than an hour away from a choice of hotels.

4. Default

Thank you both for your response!!

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Towing a U-Haul, which is limited by rental contract to 55 mph, it's going to be more like 15 hours a day for 3 days including food, fuel, and rest/bathroom stops.

I'd plan on overnights in Staunton VA, Chattanooga, and Lafayette LA. If you can safely make it farther, go for it, you will never be more than an hour away from a choice of hotels.
    Not doubting you glc as you're the guru. But, Staunton is 501 miles @ 55 mph is 9.12 hrs and 628 miles is 11.41 hrs not sure where the 15 hours come from. (If I was to consider the 15hrs, we're talking 3.6 hrs of down time) My first day I do not plan on stopping to eat as I will bring what I need. Thank you

Even if you don't stop at restaurants, you're still not going to be able to travel non stop every minute of the day. You're still going to need to stop for fuel. You're still going to have traffic. You're still going to have to stop for restrooms. You're still going to need to stop every so often to double check your trailer.

Perhaps most importantly, you're still going to have to stop just to get out of the truck to move around, and give your mind a break from the road. Even stopping for a few minutes every couple hours makes a huge difference in being a safe driver, especially when doing high-stress driving, like towing.

In real world conditions, even in a speed run where you limit your stops, if you spend your day at a cruising speed of around 75 mph, you'll still only average about 60 mph for the entire day. If you actually cruise at 55 mph, it is very likely that 600 miles will take you 14-15 hours once you factor in the minimum of stops.

Even if you bring food with you, eating behind the wheel is just as bad as texting. It's distracted driving.

7. Default

Thanks again guys!!

If you're getting the travel times from an electronic mapping program (such as Mapquest or Google Maps), add 20% to the time to get a "real world" time. Electronic mapping programs don't need bathroom stops, food, fuel, stretch the legs, and they rarely figure out that there is a traffic issue until you are in the midst of it. My husband and I take mileage and divide by 50, getting the number of hours. If towing a U-Haul, take the mileage and divide by 45. So the trip to Staunton, at 500 miles, is 11 hours. When actually going west enough to change a time zone, you'll "gain" an hour. But it's still number of hours driven, even with the "gained" hour.

Donna

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post

It's looking more and more that this is the best option. Any ideas of good secure parking hotels in these areas?

You shouldn't have any problems if you look for hotels right at the Interstate exits, not downtown. A good indication is if there are truck stops at the exit.