Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to LA via Death Valley - no overnight

hi guys,

thanks in advance for your help.
    I will be driving with my mum from Vegas to LA in May and would like to go through Death Valley. I know I should stay overnight but we can't as we are meeting someone in LA. Any tips on best route/unmissable things in DV?
    I think we will leave Vegas early, about 7am maybe? We would like to be in LA by 6pm the latest.
    If you could advice on the best route to take in order not to waste time driving the wrong one (like i have done, oh, so many times in other parts of America), that would be great.
    Google says I-15, then NV 160 to Pahrump, then CA 190, US 395 then CA 14...is this the right route? Also, i have no idea where to stop in DV and whether this route is the right one to see anything worth seeing.

Thanks again!
    Maria

Default Not a good time to arrive in LA.

Hello and welcome back to RTA !

Taking 160 to Pahrump and then Bell Vista, State Line road Road to 190 is a good choice to get into Death Valley. Zabriski point is a quick and easy stop as you drive towards Furnace creek which is also worth a stop. From Furnace creek you could take a detour down to Badwatewr Basin which happens to be the lowest point in the USA at 283ft below sea level. It would add an hour to your time with just a quick photo stop. As you continue across on 190 you will come across the Sand dunes near Stovepipe Wells and climb towards Pananmint Springs. It's going to be a full day on the road, but just the drive through Death valley is quite spectacular. You should consider heading out even earlier if possible, It's going to be no fun reaching LA during the height of the evening rush hour !

I'm going to agree wholehearted with Dave, "It's going to be no fun reaching LA during the height of the evening rush hour!" That will start about 3 or 3:30 pm. The good news is that coming in on the 14, you'll be heading south when most are going north, but you'll still hit some lousy traffic once you hit the 5 and points south. What section of LA are you going?

Donna

Default It matters where in LA you are going!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLondon82 View Post
    then CA 190, US 395 then CA 14...is this the right route?
    Maria, I make this drive in reverse a few times each year -- As a general rule I don't have time for sightseeing -- but I make this drive in about 5.5 hours -- Since you will have all day -- you'll be able to take a quick look at what this amazing park offers.

With respect to using California State Highway 14 -- it really depends where your destination is in Los Angeles. If your destination is in Orange County, or western LA -- including the San Gabriel valley or downtown -- I'd recommend that you stay on US-395 to I-15 and then use I-15 to drive in. Like I said, I make this drive often and I never take CA-14 unless I am in sightseeing mode... (But I am starting in San Gabriel).

WRT the traffic -- it really is not that big a deal. Yes, you need to have patience -- but I rarely drive slower than the maximum speed limit on the freeways even during rush hour... Again there are sections of LA that are bit trickier for traffic -- but it's nothing to worry about.

Mark

5. Default

Thanks everyone!!
    We are going to West Hollywood!!

Default West Hollywood? OK back to CA-14!

OK with a destination of West Hollywood -- CA-14 does make more sense. And traffic shouldn't be all that tough by the time you reach LA.

You will have a great time.

Mark

Hello!

I am going to do the same route on 21st of March - Friday.
    So, I will make 160 and then 190. Can I do the Badwater road?

Then, I am going to Hollywood Boulevard. Which route do you recommend to me?
    I am thinking in take 395 and then 14... Am I right?!

Thanks for your help!

8. Default ...more questions! SD-PS-LV

hi guys,

thanks in advance for your help...I am trying to finalize my itinerary and i would really appreciate a hand!

1) We will be staying in San Diego for a few days and then head to Palm Springs. I would like to go via Julian and Mr Google tells me to take the 8th and then the Ca79, is this what you recommend? After that, I would like the nicest route to Palm Springs, the one that lets us see something, Borrego Spring NP maybe? Google says to follow the 78 and take Yaqui Pass road to Borrego Springs and then follow CA-86 N and I-10 W to Date Palm Dr in Cathedral City. Is this a nice route?

2) After two days in PS, we will head to Vegas. I really have no idea which the best route is....maybe we should go via Cima? Is there anything else worth stopping by there?

thanks guys!!
    Maria

Moderator Note: Please do not create new threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-03-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Merged Threads

1. I would recommend I-8 to CA-79 to get to Julian. From Julian to Palm Springs, I would take CA-79 to CA-371 to CA-74.

2. From PS to LV, I'd take CA-62 into 29 Palms, then Amboy Rd to old 66. Go 5 miles east and turn left on Kelbaker Rd. Take that into Kelso and turn right on Kelso Cima Rd. At Cima, turn left on Cima Rd and take that to I-15.

Default The Kelso Depot

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLondon82 View Post
    Is there anything else worth stopping by there?
    Absolutely, stop at the Mojave Preserve Visitor Center at Kelso (on your way to I-15). It has a really great museum. If you have another couple of hours -- here are some places nearby...

Mark