1. Default Move from Virginia to Nevada

Hello there! I am very glad that this website exists as you folks seem to have some expert advice!

My husband and I are moving back to Las Vegas from DC and we would like some advice on best routes/practices for our trip. When we moved out here last year, we had a lot of time to make the drive, but this time we need it to be more efficient. I would love recommendations on cities we should stop to rest, so we can find pet friendly hotels in advance.

We are leaving around the 20th of March with the hope that everything is thawed/weather will be nice to us along the way. We are trying to make this drive in 4 days, 5 at the max. He has to be back on a plane in a few days to deploy to Afghanistan. I am having a difficult time understanding the map tool, so I came to you guys for some help.

Thank you for your help!

Morgan

Welcome to RTA! You have come to the right place!

There are two quicker-routes that you could take. The way this winter has been going, you may have to check the weather just before you go and decide which route you'll take. Both are just around 2450 miles, so you're looking at four very long days of 600-610 miles per day either way if you are trying to do this in 4 days. That's about the maximum that anyone should drive, and by saying that, I am assuming you will be driving a car and not a U-Haul type truck. (If driving a U-Haul, plan on 5 days of 450-500 miles. You'll have to drive slower.)

The most normal route, to me, is to take I-66 to I-81S to I-40W, then take US-93 up to Las Vegas. This route will take you to 7000 ft elevation near Flagstaff, AZ.

An alternative route would be to take I-70 across the country to Utah, where you'd catch I-15 south. The problem with this route is that it will take you to 10,000 ft elevation. It's a gorgeous route, well worth the drive, but the weather in CO has been really snowy, blowy and cold in the past month.

Either way, watch the weather reports. Either way could catch you in the midst of a winter storm. Allow for an extra day, just in case you have to hole-up somewhere and wait for a storm to pass. Either interstate would be a priority to get plowed and sanded. Don't think about going south. The weather there can get rough too and they aren't nearly as prepared for it...and it would add another day to your travels.

I'm assuming "deploy to Afghanistan" means your husband serves in the military. Thank you and him for your service!

Donna

Overnight stops:

I-66/I-81/I-40/US-93

4 days -

Crossville, TN
    Fort Smith, AR
    Moriarty, NM

5 days -

Dandridge, TN
    Brinkley, AR
    Erick, OK
    Gallup, NM

I-70/1-15

4 days -

Indianapolis, IN
    Topeka, KS
    Glenwood Springs, CO

5 days -

Springfield, OH
    Columbia, MO
    Colby, KS
    Grand Junction, CO

Of course, you should look at towns before and after those specific ones. Some of those towns are too small to have a good hotel selection.

Default The other route.

Quote Originally Posted by fromthesea View Post
    When we moved out here last year, we had a lot of time to make the drive, ...
    Which route did you take that time?

Assuming all things, weather, etc., being equal, why not choose the other route? If you basically went the I-70 route last year, why not take the I-40 route this time..... or vice versa.

Lifey

Default Tip.

When you stop for the night at any major town or City, look for lodgings to the west of town, that way when you depart in the morning you will be heading away from the heaviest of the traffic heading in for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Overnight stops:
    Crossville, TN
    Fort Smith, AR
    Moriarty, NM
    Dandridge, TN
    Brinkley, AR
    Erick, OK
    Gallup, NM
    Indianapolis, IN
    Topeka, KS
    Glenwood Springs, CO
    Springfield, OH
    Columbia, MO
    Colby, KS
    Grand Junction, CO
    ]Of course, you should look at towns before and after those specific ones. Some of those towns are too small to have a good hotel selection.
    Doing a little research here: Erick OK is indeed a wee bit small. There is something 8-10 miles further in Sayre - 2 motels. Elk City 20 miles up the road has a better selection. There are several selections within 20 miles of Dandridge, TN. Brinkley has 3 or 4 choices. On the rest you should be fine, though Glenwood Springs (being a resort area) is a little pricey. Rifle is a hair further and a lot cheaper.

Donna