Default Please Help!~Ohio to Colorado

We are driving from Ohio to Colorado with several needs. I'd like to make it to Colorado Springs by March 20, leaving Ohio March 15 evening time, I hope to get out of Ohio but other then that no expectations for this first day. My main concern is dining, my 5 year has a gluten allergy, and hotels. Does anyone know of hotels that provide gluten free food? We'd like to stay at nicer hotels, preferably with a pool, we are traveling with a 5 year old, my plan is to get up around 5am and play in pool, eat breakfast, get on the road and drive till about 7-8 and start over.

I'd really like to be able to plan out the trip and make hotel reservations and dining plans ahead of time, is this possible??

Default Gluten-Free Travel

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First, I think that this website may be just what you need for planning your travels. Note that there are also apps that you can download to your mobile device(s). I had a quick look, and while there are several restaurants and food stores listed, there aren't many lodging options. But I suspect that this is mainly because motels aren't known for, or spend much time perfecting, their cuisines.

You could get to Colorado Springs in as little as two and a half days of solid driving, so you should have plenty of time to take it easy on this trip. Whether you can get out of Ohio on the first day depends, of course, on where exactly in Ohio you're starting out from, what you mean by "evening time" for your departure, and what local conditions (e.g. rush hour) are like. But if you are leaving from anywhere northeast of Columbus, it could be a problem even getting to Richmond IN, just across the state line, before darkness and fatigue set in.

The other thing to keep in mind regarding a multi-day RoadTrip with a youngster, is that he/she will need some time out of the car a couple of times each day to get some exercise, blow off some steam, and just be a kid. While the list is in no way exhaustive, this should give you some ideas of some good places right near the highways for such purposes.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-01-2014 at 12:49 PM.

You may want to consider traveling with a small bag and cooler that contain some breakfast things for a gluten-free diet. (I can sympathize. I have to watch my fat and sodium intake!)

1) Yogurt (dairy or non-dairy) topped with fresh fruit and/or toasted nuts, seeds, homemade granola, etc. (I've seen a few motels with this in their continental breakfast food offerings.)

2) Homemade gluten-free granola with your favorite milk or non-dairy milk. (You could pack this pretty easily, and all but the chintziest places offer milk.)

3) Eggs – scrambled, hardboiled, fried, omelets, frittatas, etc. These would be harder to pack. However, you can make scrambled eggs in a coffee cup in the microwave, and I've seen hard-boiled eggs in a lot of hotel breakfast offerings.

4) Oatmeal (certified gluten-free, of course). Pack along, cook in room microwave.

5) Homemade gluten-free cereal or energy bars. Make at home before you go, or purchase ready-mades.

6) Fresh fruit. Usually motels offer bananas and apples. If not, many convenience stores have them. Or bring those along from home.

7) Homemade gluten-free bread or muffins. Another thing you could bring from home, and use the motel's breakfast room toaster, jelly, butter, etc.

Donna

Default thanks!

This new Gluten free app will help Im sure, we have one already but I had no idea there were more out there lol.

I cannot figure out how to work the map feature on the website, is it actually going to give directions to the destination, along with the stops I choose? All I can get are the flags, do I have to look up the routes on another website?

Thanks Everyone, we need all the help we can get!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-03-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

There is no substitute for paper maps. I'd recommend you make a run over to Walmart and pick up a Rand McNally Road Atlas. You can supplement it by electronic means.

Default Fairly Straightforward

I had a more detailed look at the website I recommended earlier, and it seems pretty straightforward. You simply click on a restaurant, grocery, or lodging that you want to check out and a information box with the name of the business, address, and telephone number will pop up, That pop-up will also give you the opportunity to "Plan a Route". Once you enter your current location, it will give you turn-by-turn directions as well as a map of how to get there. Now, that is the web-based routine, not the app which I haven't seen. But even so, I would use this as a planning tool, not in place of a GPS or other in-car navigation device.

AZBuck

Default RTA Custom Maps explained

Quote Originally Posted by wgircsis View Post
    I cannot figure out how to work the map feature on the website, is it actually going to give directions to the destination, along with the stops I choose? All I can get are the flags, do I have to look up the routes on another website?
    Did you mean the maps on this site? The RTA Custom Maps tool?

If so, as a matter of design, we've chosen not to supply driving directions on any of our mapping tools. There are many other mapping tools that do that -- but our focus is providing the means to create truly customized maps. Here is a thread that provides tips about how to best use the RTA Custom Maps system.

Mark