1. Default Ohio to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, etc

We live in Cincinnati and are planning a trip out west the summer of 2015. My brother lives near Jackson Hole, so we will be stopping there for sure. Of course we want to explore Yellowstone and would also like to see Mt. Rushmore. Any suggestions on routes and places to visit. We are of course in the early planning stages.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Tucson, AZ

Default Setting It Up

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are lots of things that go into planning a successful RoadTrip, but probably none are as important as properly budgeting your time and picking the right routes and stops. So those are the items that should be occupying you this far in advance of your actual travel dates. It's a minimum of three solid days of driving to get from Cincinnati to Jackson, and a little more than three more days to get back from Yellowstone to Cincinnati. That's without any sightseeing stops along the way. So the first thing to do is to make sure that you have a good two weeks to devote to this RoadTrip.

Next up would be choosing your basic routes. Note - that's plural. I'm assuming that this is a round trip, so you get to pick two different routes, one out and one back. There are a couple of ways to go about this. One would be to see what's between you and Jackson/Yellowstone and start marking places you'd like to see on a map, and then play connect the dots. The other is to pick a couple of major highways that go roughly were you want to go and see what's on them. Since I don't know what you'll end up picking for sites to visit, I'll take the second approach and describe two basic possibilities in a clockwise direction.

Start out on I-71 (south!) to Louisville and there pick up I-64 to St. Louis which is worth a visit with the Arch, Museum of Westward Expansion, Grant's Farm, etc. Take I-70 west to Kansas City and there take I-29 north to Nebraska City and use NE-2 west to get on I-80. This follows the old Oregon Trail along the Platte River with lots of pioneer landmarks, cavalry forts, pony express stations and the like. At Rawlins WY, leave I-80 and take US-287 through the Great Divide Basin and along the Wind River Range up into Jackson.

Coming back from Yellowstone, US-14 crosses northern Wyoming on the Bighorn Scenic Byway to I-90 which in eastern Wyoming and western South Dakota will take you by a number of great sites including Devils Tower, Wind and Jewel Caves, Mount Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Memorial, and Badlands National Park. When you hit I-35 in Minnesota, you can drop south and east using US-18/US-218/I-380 through Iowa and near to Dyersville (the Field of Dreams) and the Amana Colonies. Finally, I-74 will take you home from the Quad Cities area.

So anyway, that's where you should be at this point in your planning. Basically daydreaming. It's one of my favorite parts.

3. Default

Wow! Thanks so much! That is exactly the help I was looking for. It is very much appreciated.

South of England.

Default Yellowstone.

You don't say how much time you will have available but to get the best of Yellowstone I would recommend a minimum of 3-4 days there, the place is both huge and specatacular ! I would also recommend exiting Yellowstone on the wonderful Beartooth Highway [212] through Silver Gate to Red Lodge.