1. Default Kentucky to Texas, family of 5 including young to old teenagers

Hello! Thanks for being an essential resource for my annual trip planning to cover all 50 states with the family. As usual, I search for my itinerary but nobody seems to start and end how I'm considering!

This year, we are starting from Louisville KY. We got a very good fare.
    I want to pass through Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and finish in Texas.

I know I want to pass through Nashville. But after that, I'm stuck.
    I find the best fares are coming out of Dallas. And I think that's a good place to end due to my ideal driving schedule.
    But my husband, who is familiar with some of TX due to his work in the energy business, says Dallas and Houston are not real-Texas, although he admits that he hasn't been exposed to either city as a tourist.

Can you help? We only have 10 days.
    We love history, natural beauty, pro-baseball and pro-hockey, quirky local stuff and eats, and museums. We are not into extravagances but we are not campers. I prefer drive not more than 4-6 hours at a time. I have enjoyed stop and browse, then drive and stop and browse then drive, and I've also enjoyed driving and really getting to know a place and staying a night or two.

What suggestions and references do you have? Thank you so much.
    Last edited by momof3east; 02-22-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Wanted to add length of trip.

Southern California

These things come to mind:

Mammoth Cave NP in KY. My Old Kentucky Home near Bardstown. Nashville. Great Smoky Mountains NP. Chickamauga Chattanooga National Mil. Park. Memphis, with Elvis' Graceland. Vicksburg Natl Mil. Park. Natchez Trace Parkway. Hot Springs NP (Arkansas SW of Little Rock).

Joplin MO

In Texas, you may enjoy Austin and San Antonio. For major league baseball, you will need to go to Dallas or Houston.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Four to a room.

Since it is not your first trip, you may be aware of this. But, in case you are not, here is a link to hotels which accommodate more than the standard "four to a room".

5. Default

I have just 10 days. Would the above be doable in that time?
    What do you suggest in Oklahoma?
    Anything great near Dallas?

Hey, magic: I have used that reference you've shared before. Great! I also pack a travel EasyCot from LL Bean.

Green County, Wisconsin

If you're a fan of history, then the 6th Floor Museum and Dealey Plaza qualify as a must stop in Dallas.

The Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is a pretty nice place to watch a game - it was one of the first of the "new era" of parks, built around the same time as Camden Yards in Baltimore. Its right by the Cowboys billion dollar stadium, as well as the original Six Flags amusement park.

Back towards the northern part of your trip, the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green might interest you. It might be a bit too far away from your other stops, but Land Between the Lakes is a nice area to explore, especially the Elk and Bison Range, and and the civil war site, Fort Donaldson is just to the south of the park.

If your love of professional baseball extends beyond the Majors, there are quite a few minor league parks in that part of the country. Memphis and Louisville are considered among the best, although I have not seen a game at either. And of course, no baseball fans trip through Louisville would be complete without at stop at the Louisville Slugger factory and museum.