1. Default New Orleans to Washington Roadtrip

Hi, me and my partner are looking to travel part of the US next year for 3 weeks. Our route planned is New Orleans - Nashville - Covington, GA - Savannah, GA - Charleston, SC, Washington DC. Any advice on best places to stop inbetween/travel recommendations/best time of the year to travel for people trying to avoid extreme heat (my boyfriend is very pale). We come from Scotland so have no idea where to start! Any help would be very appreciated :)

Tucson, AZ

Default Early and Many

Ceud měle fŕilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Let's start with the timing. Both New Orleans and Savannah are already warm and getting warmer in April. By May, you can expect daily high temperatures around or above 80şF (27şC), and although spring is still technically the 'dry' season in the South, humidity will still be higher than anything you're used to in Scotland. So the sooner the better.

As for things to see and do, those would largely depend on your interests. But some of the most popular attractions on your general route would include the French Quarter in New Orleans, the Natchez Trace Parkway, Shiloh National Battlefield, the Grand Ole Opry, Virginia's Historic Triangle, and if you have sufficient time, a drive up the Outer Banks.