Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 90 day road trip - what order to get best weather

Hi all

My husband and I are planning a roadtrip from the UK. We will be in the US for 90 days and want to cover:

Down the west coast north to south
    Across the South
    Either Route 66 or up the west through salt lake and across the top (north dakota etc).

We both have visitied the East Coast from Vermont down as far as Virginia a lot, so don't need to visit any of those states.

We might be entering the US from Canada (having spent a few weeks there doing the trans canada highway). So, I was thinking, head straight down the west coast first.

Weather is the issue - we ideally want to do Canada in June (so roads aren't a problem). Would the west coast be nice in July? Then maybe the midwest section up to chicago in August, then the South in September? I'm not too good in super hot weather - would this be ok?

Alternatively, Canada in March (bit worried about the cold), April for west coast, may across south/midwest and June the other. Fly home just after July 4th weekend.

As we've not visited any of these area before, we're a bit undecided. But we have to do Canada before the US, otherwise it counts as part of our 90 day US visa.

Thanks all

Welcome Back to the RTA Forum!

I would opt for the summer trip. Doing the Trans-Canada in March pretty much means you're going to see some cold and snowy weather. There also will still be significant potential stops, mostly in mountain areas, that would still be snowbound and off limits in April/May.

Of course, doing the trip in summer does mean you will see some hot weather. Coastal areas won't be a big issue, but you can't expect to travel across the US in summer without seeing some heat and/or humidity. That doesn't mean it should keep you from seeing places or that the heat it will be an every day thing, but there is going to be trade-offs no matter when you go.

If possible, I might push your trip back even by another month, so you travel across Canada in July, have the west coast in August, and then have somewhat cooler months (and off-peak travel time) in Sept. and October for the trip across the US, while still getting back before winter sets back in.

Where are you heading home from, and what are you using for transporation for this trip?

Default Why do Canada first?

Quote Originally Posted by klmr14 View Post
    As we've not visited any of these area before, we're a bit undecided. But we have to do Canada before the US, otherwise it counts as part of our 90 day US visa.
    Where are you flying into and out of? Is there any reason why you could not do Canada after your 90 days in the US. So long as you fly from Canada direct to the UK, it will not affect your visa.

Canada is lovely in August.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Where are you flying into and out of? Is there any reason why you could not do Canada after your 90 days in the US. So long as you fly from Canada direct to the UK, it will not affect your visa.
    I'm not certain about that. While that would make the most sense, I do remember another poster fairly recently who was looking to travel to Mexico after spending 90 days in the US. That person claims he was told by US officials that he had to leave North America within 90 days. Now, I have no idea why that would be, or how it could even be enforced, but it was unusual enough that I remembered the post. At worst, if you are planning to leave North America more than 90 days later, I suspect they could deny entry under the VWP.

Didn't that person need or want to connect through the US to fly home from Mexico? I think that was the problem. I know you can't go to Canada or Mexico after 90 days to reset the clock to get another VWP visit, you have to leave the continent.

Now, there will be a car rental issue - you can't rent a car in one country and return it in another - you will need 2 separate rentals and will have to use public transportation to cross the border (i.e. rent a car in Canada, return it in Vancouver, take the bus to Seattle, rent a car there).

Default From first entry to last exit.

Unless of course, you can rent a car in Canada and use it for your whole trip, until you get back to Canada.

glc is right, that member wanted to transit through the US. If you fly on direct flights into and out of Canada, and spend 90 days in the US, then you can spend as much time as you want in Canada. Should you return to Canada during the 90 days, those days in Canada will be counted in the 90 days.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 02-19-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Clarification

Default Returning to the Original Question

The problem with the original schedule is/was that July and August can be terrible times to be in the South or Midwest. It is hot, humid, and getting into hurricane and tornado seasons. Similarly those months can be much better times (rather than June) to see the Canadian Rockies. So if 90 days is the total time to be spent in North America, Canada and the United States combined, then a possible itinerary/schedule would look something like:

Fly into a northern gateway city such as Chicago, Detroit or Minneapolis/St. Paul with direct service from the UK as early as possible in the season.

Rent a car (with unlimited mileage, no geographic restrictions, and Canadian insurance card) and head south while it's still relatively cool. After seeing the South, work your way westward through the desert southwest to California and travel up the coast (all at a leisurely pace) arriving in Vancouver in mid summer.

Take the Trans-Canada through the Rockies during the height of summer (There will still be snow and ice on the ground in portions of the Rockies and in the Jasper Ice Fields).

Head south along the eastern Rockies to re-enter the U.S., see Yellowstone and the Badlands, and finally cross the northern plains back to the gateway city.

Drop off the car (no one-way drop-off fee) and fly home.

AZBuck

Default Same loop, different entry and exit point.

What AZBuck has suggested, is exactly what I was thinking. However, doing it as outlined above will mean your whole visit will be limited to 90 days. If you do exactly the same loop, starting and ending in Canada, you will not have such restrictions. You will be able to have your week (or more) in Canada, as well as your 90 days in the US.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    glc is right, that member wanted to transit through the US.
    Actually, glc is wrong here, the member I'm referring to specifically said he did not plan to transit back through the US while returning home, and was still told he had to leave North America within 90 days.

Basically klmr14 is correct in her understanding that if she wants this overall trip to last for more than 90 days, she will have to do her traveling in Canada first, so she doesn't start the 90 day clock for when she'll be required to go home. At least, if what the poster in the other thread is accurate.

Default Whatever You End Up Doing

Make sure that you have documentation from the car hire firm specifically stating that you are permitted, as a part of the rental, to take the car across the border both ways. Also have proof that you have insurance coverage that is valid in both countries. I actually ran into a problem with this once when I was visiting Vancouver and, on a lark, drove to Point Roberts WA, a unique US town that can only be reached by car from Canada. Since this was an unplanned border crossing, I did not have the proper documentation. Canada almost refused me re-entry which would have been a real problem.

AZBuck