1. Default Camping in North Dakota

Never have good luck finding campgrounds spur of the moment along major highways. Need recommendations! Anywhere near Highway 2 or I-94 will do, we could go either way.

Would prefer something totally tucked into the woods, with big spacious tent sites & fire pits.

Last summer we stayed at a fairgrounds campground in West Fargo. In the next tent site was a diesel truck that literally idled all night, and next to that was a carnie couple in a trailer who screamed at each other while their child wailed until at least 3am.

Tucson, AZ

Default Best Bets

When looking for quiet campgrounds with open space at least in the vicinity, you usually can't do better than state parks and/or national forests. Besides having good facilities, there is also usually a ranger or guard on site to facilitate dealing with rude neighbors. There are a number of such sites along both US-2 and I-94 in North Dakota, including:

Turtle River State Park
    Shelvers Grove State Recreation Area
    Grahams Island State Park
    Lewes and Clark State Park

Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park
    Theodore Roosevelt National Park (South Unit)

Green County, Wisconsin

I've stayed at Fort Abe Lincoln, and it is a decent place to tent camp. Its right along the Missouri River near Bismarck. The one thing to keep in mind, however, is that because it is right along the river, the campground can be affected (ie closed) by floods, if there is a wet spring.

I haven't stayed there, but I did drive through the Campground at Teddy Roosevelt, and it would also be a good place to set up a tent.

It's about a half hour west of the state line, but Makoshika State Park near Glendive, Montana is a nice park for tent camping. I enjoyed staying there years ago.

In the eastern part of the ND, Fort Ransom State Park is about 30 miles south of I-94/Valley City, or crossing into Minnesota, just east of Fargo-Moorhead is Buffalo River State Park. Being state parks, they'd places I'd look at stopping at, although I haven't actually camped at either.

4. Default

Love it! Lots of options! Thanks so much!