Default Rocky Mountain National Park summer 2014

We are new members to this site.

We will be traveling from southern Oregon to Rocky Mountain National Park in later June. We have a 28 ft Keystone travel trailer pulled by a 2500 Silverado. We will be spending our first night in Winnemucca, Nevada. For safety reasons is it better to stay on I80 and cut down on I25 to Estes Park or is State Route 40 to 34 going through RMNP a safe alternative?

We've already learned that from southern Oregon on SR140 to 95 to Winnemucca is rather steep with fairly narrow roads and steep drop offs, so we changed that leg of our route through Reno. It added only 30 minutes to the first leg. And thoughts on this change?

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Welcome to RTA!

I assume you are looking at I-5/CA-89/CA-44/CA-36/US-395 to Reno? That should be pretty decent.

I don't remember any really difficult stretches on US-40 between I-80 and Granby. It's a well traveled and well maintained highway. You just need to make sure that Trail Ridge Road is open or you will be locked into the west side of the park.

If you do decide to stay on I-80, I'd consider picking up US-287 out of Laramie through Fort Collins to Loveland. This cuts off about 25 miles but probably won't save you any time.

I hope your truck is a diesel - if not, you will have some really slow going at those altitudes.

Default NEWER diesel, we hope!

I hope your truck is a diesel - if not, you will have some really slow going at those altitudes.
    And a newer diesel at that -- because we pulled through there a number of years ago with an older (non-Power Stroke) diesel. We were going uphill at 20mph, along with a lot of the loaded trucks! (That was on I-70!)

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 02-09-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: fixed crazy typing

It would have to be a pretty old diesel if it doesn't have a turbo - that's the key for pulling at high altitude.

Default Doubt you would consider it a 'safe alternative'.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You just need to make sure that Trail Ridge Road is open or you will be locked into the west side of the park.
    Be aware that the Trail Ridge Road can close at a moment's notice. It is quite possible for it to close before you get there, even though you may have been told in Grandby that it is open. Make sure you have a plan B.

However, if you are concerned about steep roads with drop offs, I am not sure that you would consider the TRR as a 'safe alternative'. It may be better to enjoy that on a day of scenic driving.

Lifey

Default On the issue of safety.

You mention Winnemucca as your first leg and then the route to Estes Park, I hope you have planned for another overnight stop along the way ? It's 840 miles to Estes Park and can not be done safely without another overnight stop.

You don't say how long you have for the trip as a whole and if you have other plans, but you could take a different route each way, perhaps even using the very scenic I70 and overnighting in Arches NP one way. If you are camping in RMNP [Morraine?] then you need to book a campground site asap after the booking window opens.