1. Default Short 5 day road trip from Vegas

Hi,

Im flying in to Vegas on June 1 and besides staying in the city im planning a 5 day road trip. This is what i planned so far so if you guys have any inputs or tips i would appreciate it.

Day 1: Head out early to drive the scenic route in Red Rock Canyon. Then continue to the Valley of Fire to take in the views. After that we will head towards Cedar City were we will spend the night.

Day 2: Drive to Bryce Canyon were we will spend the day in the NP before heading to Orderville for a 2 day stay at the Best Western.

Day 3: Drive to Grand Canyon North rim were we will spend the day and take in the sights.(Been to south rim before and find it hard not to go into the canyons while being so close.) After that drive back to the hotel in Orderville.

Day 4: Drive to Zion NP (definitely doing the Angels Landing hike) and spend the night in Springdale.

Day 5: Spend some more time in Zion NP before heading back to Vegas

How does this sound? If someone have any pointers on what to do, see, stay, eat etc just drop them here and i would be grateful. Many thanks,

2. Default

I didnt realize that the drive to Grand Canyon north would be so long(over 4 hours one way from Orderville) so it might be smart so skip that part and spend the extra day somewhere else or in one of NP.

Default No need to skip the North Rim.

You might find that you can have it all if you were to spend that second night in Kanab, Fredonia or Jacob Lake rather than going back to Orderville. I'm with you, I find it hard to pass by the Canyons, but you shouldn't have to. It is a lot easier and quicker to get round the North Rim, than the South Rim. If you wanted to stay for a sunset, closer accommodation would be a benefit. I've always stayed in Kanab when visiting the North Rim.

Edit: Here's a link to the drive into the North Rim.

Lifey

I personally would spend 2 nights in Kanab instead of Orderville. There is a very good selection of hotels, it's not out in the middle of nowhere like Orderville.

5. Default

Thanks for the advice on Kanab and the link of driving to the North Rim. Somehow the google maps were showing me a different point of grand canyon north which would have been a 4 hour drive instead of the suggested 2 hour from Kanab. Thanks to you guys i now know were im going and staying, much appreciated.

Default Paper maps vs computer mapping

Quote Originally Posted by bommen View Post
    Thanks for the advice on Kanab and the link of driving to the North Rim. Somehow the google maps were showing me a different point of grand canyon north which would have been a 4 hour drive instead of the suggested 2 hour from Kanab. Thanks to you guys i now know were im going and staying, much appreciated.
    It is for this reason that we recommend you use paper maps as your primary planning tool. Use electronics to get finer details, but to get the overall picture, you need a paper map (or road atlas). AAA and Rand McNally are good ones. You are going to need these on the road anyway. May as well get them now, and familiarise yourself with all the detail along the routes you will be travelling. Whatever you do, do not be tempted to rely totally on your GPS. Far too many have come to grief, some have lost their life.

(I always mean to document just how often my satnav takes me to the wrong destination, sent me the wrong way down a one way road, etc. etc. Maybe one day, I will.)

Lifey

Default A suggestion from my back yard....

Quote Originally Posted by bommen View Post
    Im flying in to Vegas on June 1 and besides staying in the city im planning a 5 day road trip.
    RoadTrip America is based in Las Vegas, partly because it is such a perfect base for taking road trips. You might find this article about a trip I took to Bryce and North Rim and a few other places along the way...

Mark

8. Default

Thanks again for the the info!